The Lady in the Bar

Start from the beginning

Nile grumbled and looked away, embarrased at the attention. "Would you all just drop it already?"

Not having any of his refusal, Adalaide, Chiara and Adrian tried to pry the details out of him, wanting to know more of the 'juicy' stuff. After all, the three of them were like partners-in-crime and were the loudest of the bunch in their friend group.

"Aw, come on! That's no fun!"

"Yeah Nile, does Marie even know you have a flat ass?"

"HAHA! Oi Chi, that's a good one. We're telling Marie he has a flat ass!"

"Shut it!"

Pissed, Nile attempted to stand and walk away from the table, but Adrian latched onto his body like a pestering leech, freezing the poor guy's movements.

"Nuh-uh! You're spilling the details now!"

"Get off me, you little - "

"YOU LOUSY SHITS! GET YOUR SMELLY ASSES OUTSIDE!"

At the loud, booming roar of their instructor, everyone inside the mess hall flinched in surprise, before they quickly ambled towards the door while some hurriedly finished their breakfast.

"Dok, you don't have to hurry because you don't have an ass in the first place."

"SHUT THE FUCK UP, HERRMANN."

Isanna released a small sigh. It was now noon time and she was currently walking down the hall of the boys' cabin because a fellow female cadet wanted her to pass a message to Erwin.

Probably a meet up or something, the girl thought. She had given up keeping track of the number of times she had to pass a message or a letter to her best friend from countless women during her 3 years of training. Now that graduation was right around the corner, the amount of confessions Erwin had been receiving the past weeks had seen a surge.

"Aren't you jealous?"

She also recalled the numerous times Chiara asked her whether she was jealous every time Erwin received a confession, but Isanna's answers had always been the same statement.

"I'm not."

At this point, she was convinced she actually didn't like Erwin in that way. And to think she had been so distraught over it for a while a year back, it almost made her laugh.

Reaching cabin room 7, Isanna was about to knock on the hard wooden door when a muffled voice sounded from inside the room.

"What?! You like her too?!"

Freezing at the sudden outburst, the girl's brow lifted upon recognizing that the voice belonged to Adrian. Her fist was just inches away from coming into contact with the door.

There was a few seconds of silence trickling before a second voice answered.

"Yes."

Isanna's heart pounded when she realized the second voice was Erwin's. Her thoughts were becoming muddled at the conversation she was listening to as she slowly dropped her hand. 'Like her'? Who were they talking about?

Wait.. Erwin likes someone?

Feeling her stomach turning clammy, Isanna's gaze dropped towards the floor. Erwin.. liked someone. Erwin liked someone. The idea kept on repeating in her mind, like a cycle. Like a broken recorder. Like the pedaling of a bicycle, turning round and round and round to the point she was getting dizzy.

And amidst all that cycling mess, one question stood out.

Who?

Who did Erwin like?

"God.. I never would've thought.. you, of all people.." She heard Adrian let out a tired sigh and could picture him running a palm down his face from behind the door.

By this point, Isanna would've been mistaken as a frozen statue as she strained her ears to listen to the conversation happening right inside the room, with only a door barricading between them.

She swore she could literally feel her heart dropping when, after the disquieted silence, a name was finally mentioned.

"You like Marie?"