Chapter One

Chapter One

Parker and I have sort of known each other, since we were in kindergarten. I’m not quite sure, if we can still say ‚known each other‘. We haven’t exactly talked a lot these last seven years. When I was ten, his father got a promotion and a new job in Sydney, that’s when he left. I remember I cried a lot that day, I was at the airport. We were sitting on the balcony of the airport’s restaurant and he said: „Don’t worry little bee, we’ll see each other again soon.“ Then he had kissed me on the cheek and held my hand, until he had to go. 

 He would always fight the kids that made fun of my pigtails and sit with me when I was alone. He protected me from the world when I was too little to do it myself. He’s a year older than me, they had moved a lot when he was little, so he was enrolled a year after his generation, and everyone was scared of him. They didn’t dare approach me after it was clear that he would have my back at all times.

 He was my best friend. You would think that standing in front of him right now, seven years later, would make me jump right into his arms. That I would cry out of joy. But I don’t. Either one, I don’t. He had promised to not forget about me, he had promised to write and to call me everyday. He broke my heart, and I can’t let that happen again.

The hallway was empty, it was just him and me. Everyone was outside, in the sun, falling into each others arms and talking about the great summer they had, and how much they’d missed each other. But I’m standing here, staring into those familiar, unknown eyes. His lips curve up into a smile, as he recognizes me but mine stay straight in a firm line. He’s handsome, there’s no denying that. The girls will love him, he won’t struggle making friends, he doesn’t need me.

 „You never called…“ I don’t know why I said that. My mouth seemed to have a will of his own. I couldn't help but look down, his stare becoming unbearable. His eyes had somehow gotten a little more chocolate brown and his hair had grown a lot, but were still as beautifully light brown as ever. „You promised, and you never called.“ I whisper again, finally looking up to see hurt and confusion pass over his features. I shook my head slowly, as if I was trying to shake the feeling off, trying to keep the tears from falling. I hadn’t thought about him much. After a year, he had only become a memory. Two years later the memory was fading, he became a face on my pictures. Last year my mom had told me that they were moving back, into their old house. It felt like my heart broke all over again. 

I remember James acting all jealous about Parker, thinking he’d been my boyfriend. I had to explain it all to him, the entire story. I trusted James and I still do, even though we are not together. Parker and I never passed the best friend relationship, I mean I was ten when he left. 

He was still processing my words, so I took this moment to look him over. He grew up, pretty tall, if I had to guess I’d say around one meter ninety. His shirt shows off his biceps and muscular arms and his face looked like it came straight from the Australian beach. 

I couldn’t stay there. I couldn’t stay and look at him like that, and I couldn’t have him look at me like he’s trying to understand what went wrong. We both know what went wrong, and he can’t pretend he doesn’t. 

„Noire, I missed you.“ He finally said after I had taken a few steps to the side to leave. „And I wanted to call, I swear, I just never knew what to say.“ This made me stop in my tracks. 

„You never knew what to say?“ I turned on my heels and came closer to him, so close our faces were inches away from each other. „You know I didn’t care if we had actually had a fucking conversation Williams! You know that all I wanted was to hear my best friend, who had just moved all across the world, so he could tell me I’m going to be fine.“ I took a deep breath, and whipped a tear away. „You left me Parker, in every possible way. And you didn’t even try.“ I took a few steps back, my words had been like punches in his face. 

When I Met Parkerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें