xvi.

"You're leaving me again," Normani deadpanned, looking at Ally.

"I'm not leaving you, Normani," Ally rolled her eyes, hitting her pencil against her desk.

"Yes you are! Dinah said you won't be back until next week Monday," Normani frowned, putting her head in her hands.

"Would you like me to come back all busted up?" Ally raised an eyebrow, looking away from her work.

"Well no, but I miss you," Normani said in a baby voice. Ally chuckled and got out of her desk chair, moving to the bed, where Normani had been.

"Mani you act like I haven't seen you these last what, four days? And you act like I'm always gone, it's seriously just for now babe," Ally said, pulling her into an embrace.

"I know but I miss hanging out with you," Normani whined.

"You sound like a three-year-old, first of all. Second of all, when all of this is over, you and I can go out, and maybe even have a day to ourselves over winter break. How's that sound?" Ally hummed.

"Just us?" Normani's eyes twinkled.

Ally giggled, "yup, just us two."

"Okay," Normani sighed happily, digging herself into her best friend's embrace, "love you."

"Love you too, Manibear," Ally rubbed Normani's shoulder.

"Be safe tonight, okay? I need you alive," Normani looked up at Ally from her spot against Ally's shoulder.

"I will be okay. I've got Dinah and Lauren and their family. I promise I'll talk to you all about it," Ally sighed.

"You feeling ready?" Normani asked.

"I don't have a choice to be ready or not. But, it has to happen eventually so might as well I do it now," Ally shrugged.

"Right, have you talked to Mom and Dad at all?" Normani sat up, looking at Ally.

"No, not really," Ally mumbled, looking down, "I try sometimes but they're always busy."

"Have they been away since school started?" Ally nodded as Normani heaved a sigh, "you know you're welcome over at my house anytime. My parents are yours as well."

"I know, and I have Dinah's family as well. Thank you Mani," Ally said, wrapping her arms around Normani's shoulders.

"Of course, Als, always," Normani kissed the top of her head.

== + ==

"Okay baby, ready to go?" Dinah walked into Ally's room.

Ally nodded, "I think so," she looked around the dorm one last time.

"You okay?" Dinah asked, putting her hands on Ally's shoulders.

"Yeah, I am," Ally smiled weakly, finding her shoes a lot more interesting at the moment.

Dinah's eyebrows furrowed as she tilted Ally's chin up, "you can tell me anything. If you don't want to do this right now, that's okay too."

Ally shook her head, "no, I want to do this now. I'm just nervous, is all."

Dinah nodded in understanding, "I understand the nerves. Maybe not completely, but I do get some of it. The first shift is nerve wracking. I had a weird one, my dad had forgotten about me when they went out and I had shifted in the backyard, alone and scared. Mom found me though, helped me through it. In fact, she'd be the one to talk to about this, considering she was human before turning."

"Your dad forgot about you?" Ally snorted.

Dinah groaned, "I was in the little boy's room!"

Ally giggled, "okay okay. But seriously, we should go."

"You're right," Dinah smiled, pressing a kiss to Ally's forehead. She grabbed Ally's bag with one hand and then reached for Ally's hand with the other, leading the way out.

Dinah tapped the back of the truck when she and Lauren were settled in the bed, Chris pulling away as they waved goodbye to Camila, Normani, and Zendaya.

"How's she feeling?" Lauren asked, looking at Dinah.

"A little nervous, but that's as expected," Dinah shrugged.

"She'll be okay," Lauren said. Dinah nodded.

When they pulled up to the house, Clara was already standing in the doorway with a bright smile. Dinah and Lauren climbed out of the back as Ally and Chris closed their doors, Dinah holding onto Ally's bag.

"Welcome home!" Clara clapped, embracing Ally first.

"Thank you," Ally chuckled, moving aside to let Dinah and Lauren greet their mother. They walked into the house to see Taylor and Gina on the living room floor with Alena. Dinah grinned and moved to scoop the baby up, throwing her in the air to elicit loud giggles.

"Hi pup," Dinah kissed her cheeks. Alena continued to giggle as she reached for Dinah's nose.

Ally smiled and turned to Clara, "do you think I can talk to you?"

"Oh, of course, let's go outside," Clara said, walking away with Ally following. Ally closed the back door softly and was appointed the other picnic chair.

Clara turned to Ally, "is everything okay? Dinah didn't do anything stupid, did she?"

Ally laughed and shook her head, "oh no, it's nothing like that." Clara nodded, silently telling her to go on. "I just am a little nervous about tonight, do you think you can tell me anything?"

Clara inhaled, "well first and foremost, I want you to know that Mike, Dinah, Lauren, and the rest of the pack will be there for your shift, they will surround you to protect you. When it comes time, really focus on your inner wolf. Focus on mentally changing your mannerisms from human to wolf. I pictured my own wolf when I first shifted, and that really helped. Don't freak out when your bones start to crack, it's just what happens. You will feel a lot of pain in these next upcoming days, as well as a lot of other raging emotions. But, you won't have to worry too much about that because you have us, you will be okay. We will keep you safe."

Ally nodded, "thank you."

"Of course. The first shift will always be the hardest, and then it'll get better the more you shift. But your wolf will constantly be trying to force you into shifting, try to fight it and keep it under control. You will know what I'm talking about when you go through everything."

"I feel like I should meditate or something," Ally joked, making Clara laugh.

"You could, maybe even get Dinah to do it as well, Lord knows she needs to shut her mouth for a few minutes," Clara continued, laughing with Ally.

"I know you don't have my name in your mouth, mother," Dinah chuckled, stepping into the grass, "what're my two favorite women doing?"

"Just talking," Ally shrugged with a sigh as Dinah sat next to her on the grass.

"Do meditation with Ally," Clara said.

"Meditation? Why would I do that?" Dinah's face contorted, making both women laugh.

"Because you're unaligned, sweetheart," Clara smiled, making Ally giggle.

Dinah rolled her eyes, "whatever. Lauren is asking if you'll be making food for later tonight."

"Yeah I will," Clara shrugged.

"Okay sweet, and I know Alena is just dying to see you baby," Dinah looked at Ally with a grin.

"I'm coming!" Ally jumped up, rushing into the house. Dinah chuckled and looked back at her mother, who hadn't moved.

"She is one of a kind, Dinah, don't fuck it up," Clara said.

"I know Mom," Dinah sighed, "she really is my everything."

A/n: hi 😄

I've been doing research for this book so bare with me, I want to get things right but I also know a lot is left up to the author, so I'm really just writing as I go.