Halfway across the courtyard, he passed by an attendant, a boy of fifteen or so summers. Uachi tightened his grasp on his horse's reins and drew to a stop, choosing a term of respect that was a little too large yet for a boy half his age: "Sir. Excuse me."

The lad slowed, looking up at Uachi, and then he drew to a stop, straightening his shoulders. "Yes?"

"Forgive the interruption. I had heard that there is a mage in these parts, a high-ranking mage named Jaeron. Do you know of him?"

"The archmage? Aye, of course I do. Everyone's heard of him."

"I should like to pay him a visit, sir. To pay my respects. He and I are old friends. Very old friends. Do you know where he stays?"

The lad smiled at Uachi. "He was staying here, with Emperor Koren, but you've just missed him. They left three days ago, with the princesses and the High Queen's army. They're off to defend the realm and the High Queen's honor. Wish I'd gone with 'em."

Uachi stared at the lad, schooling his expression so as not to reveal his frustration. Three days. He had missed the archmage by three days.

"Princesses?" This was Ealin, her tone slow and soft. Uachi glanced sharply down at her, reaching out to lay a hand on her shoulder, a reminder of the danger should she betray their secrets.

"Aye, the High Queen's two daughters, heaven bless them." The boy placed a hand over his heart and then kissed his own thumb.

Uachi frowned at that. Koren and Jaeron had gone off to one battlefront or another with princesses? "Where are they bound? Perhaps I could catch up with the archmage."

The lad shrugged. "To the front, I suspect. 'Til we can guarantee sovereignty for ourselves, the emperor has sworn to fight for us. That's a man born to battle, the emperor. You should see him fight. I have, in the practice yard. 'Tis a sight to behold."

"I'm sure of that. And the princesses have gone with him?" Uachi asked. This was strange. Women were not rare on battlefields; many of them became soldiers, and more served as nurses or in other capacities. But ladies?

"Aye." The lad looked thoughtful. "I heard he had taken them on as ladies-in-waiting for Empress Liara, his wife. I'm sorry for a fine lady such as her, sleeping in tents out on the battlefield, but with princesses to wait upon her, perhaps she has comfort enough."

This was interesting. Uachi doubted that Koren had brought Coratse's daughters with him for the comfort of his wife. No; if he had deigned to drag high-born women along with him on his campaign, it was for a very good reason—and there were reasons aplenty to keep the children of a political ally, a potential political enemy, close at hand.

The lad was frowning now, his eyes fixed on Uachi's cheek. He seemed to be fitting facts together in his mind, and Uachi had no desire to allow him more time to think.

"Thank you, sir," Uachi said, pasting a smile on his face. "Fate's not in my favor this time. I'm homeward bound."

"Safe travels," the youth replied, the suspicion fading from his eyes.

Uachi nodded, then hastened out of the courtyard, his shadowcats trailing at his heels. Ealin drifted behind them, slow enough that he had to stop and wait for her before he emerged into the bright daylight. Diarmán was well down the road.

Muttering a curse under his breath, Uachi turned to Ealin. He took her by the waist and lifted her up into the saddle. "Careful," he said. "Hold tight." He swung up behind her and took the reins, tapping his heels into his horse's flanks. The beast trotted off after Diarmán, and Uarria and Farra streaked along beside.

Diarmán was trudging along on foot, his head hanging down. He didn't look up as Uachi rode up beside him.

"Are you done with your sulk?" Uachi asked.

"Go, Uachi. You've fulfilled your side of the bargain and I've fulfilled mine. Journey's end."

"There are a number of reasons why the journey isn't over, the most important of which is about to spook your horse."

Uarria had bounded up to meet them, and she was now sniffing at a strap trailing from Diarmán's baggage. She batted the strap with a paw, then made a brave attempt to pounce on it, although it was dangling in the air. The effect was amusing; even Diarmán cracked a smile. His horse seemed less amused.

"Fine. Walk with me to the woods and I'll turn her back. Then, journey's end."

"Are you done with my company?"

"Well, I would wager that no one has ever accused you of being good company."

"Not that I recall."

"Then you have your answer."

"Diarmán, for Zanara's sake, stop." Uachi urged his horse forward. The sudden motion caused Ealin to sway in her seat, and he put an arm around her to steady her as he drew his horse in, cutting across Diarmán's path. "Talk to me."

Diarmán looked up at him, his jaw clenched. Uachi had never seen him like this. The nearest he could recall was when they'd met. With a bruise shadowing his jaw and the ire of the alehouse's patrons clouding the atmosphere, Diarmán had been sullen and bitter. Now, he was flushed and angry, his lips pressed tightly together, his eyes suspiciously shiny. "What do you want me to say, Uachi? I'm glad for you. At least one of us got what we wanted out of this. Go home. Take her back. You'll be a hero—nothing new for you, I suspect."

"Oh, aye. That's me, the lauded hero. Mayhap I came down here to find a little girl I've known since I could fit her in the palm of my hand. Mayhap I did it for the bleeding glory."

"That's not—"

"Nothing's changed," Uachi snapped. "You were a bastard before you went into that place and you're a bastard now. You were a faerie pig then, and you're a faerie pig now. Unless I've missed something, your miserable grandfather planned to leave you nothing before you came here. That much hasn't changed."

Diarmán glowered at Uachi, opening his mouth to retort, but Uachi cut him off.

"Since you first spoke of that woman you've called her the bitch pretender, the so-called queen. She might have the power to take your home from you, but she cannot take what you are. Isn't that what you said to me? 'Call me what you want, it won't change what I am?'"

"So I'm to be lord of the dirt roads and the hillocks."

Lords of dirt roads and hillocks. Princesses of camp tents and battle drums. "Maybe you will be," Uachi said. "Unless."

The two men were silent for a moment, staring at one another. Diarmán's scowl was the first to break, slipping into a frustrated frown. "Well?"

"Mount up. Let's find a place for our camp, and I'll tell you what I've learned."