| bonus

All bonuses in the series are kept in one book if you want to read at once. 💙

Two years had passed since Caroline and Jim had fallen in love, and not much had changed between them.

Blind infatuation has ceased, maturing into the love that lasts for a lifetime. The one that overlooks the times your lover snaps at you when she's hormonal, or he chews too loudly, then asks if you're hormonal.

They still slow-danced in their living room, Jim still clutched his heart and told her she was the most beautiful woman in the world when she emerged from their bedroom in the morning, and they still went to a movie almost every Sunday night.

They still fought and cried when frustrated, and talked through their problems, they still kissed deeply, and cared deeply, and overlooked the small annoyances in the name of love.

And they still saved their best for each other.

They were both working toward their accounting degrees, their families loved each other, and nothing at all was stopping him. Unfortunately, he had relived the night Ariella passed in his thoughts a million times. She was twenty when she left earth, the same age he was now. He didn't want to allow himself regrets.

He knew he didn't require permission, but he spoke to Birdie and Matt, and Izzy anyway. His parents, Dave, and sisters were thrilled.

He wasted no time setting up a romantic evening out, ending at the Lights and Sights festival where they exchanged kisses two years ago. With rosy cheeks and glowing eyes, he stole her heart all over again. It felt no different to Caroline than any other night they spent together.

Until he began speaking in a low, sweet voice, cupping her face in his large hands. He was a romantic, but also practical. "Linney, do you want to get married?"

She curled into him more. "Of course I do."

"I know we've spent two years together, but I love you more every day for your sweet heart and tenacity and the fact that you're so fucking beautiful. Whoops, I probably shouldn't say fucking when I ask you to marry me."

Linney gasped, covering her mouth. "James?!"

"Fuck." He covered his eyes, then recovered.

He sank to one knee, clasping her hands in his. "Caroline Joy, I love you more than anybody has loved anybody. What we have here is the kind of love people write books about. You are the love of my life, Linney."

He held up the ring, then held her left hand, beyond eager to slide the ring on her finger and officially call her his fiancée. "Please marry me."

"Tomorrow?" she wept, urging the ring onto her finger.

"Yesterday," he replied, lowering his mouth to hers.

*********************

Yesterday came six months later, and Jim unsuccessfully choked back tears as Caroline floated down the aisle between her parents, her curls tied back in a classic, sleek 1990's half up-do.

With thin straps and a flowing bodice for obvious reasons, Caroline's gown flowed to the ground with modest elegance, no match for the brilliant smile that graced her face.

Dave lightly slapped him on the shoulder when the door opened to reveal his bride, and Jim touched his hand on his shoulder before Dave sent a wink at his pregnant wife Jane in the front row.

The wedding was classic and understated, like the couple it celebrated.

Everybody cheered as he kissed his bride on the altar, as they entered the ballroom hours later, and when they exited the reception under a shower of birdseed.