| decorating

Dedicated to autumnqueenxo_ for the kind support.

***************

"Ready? One, two, three!"

"Cheese!"

A blinding light from a disposable camera winks at the couple's lovesick faces before Linney rushes forward, thanking the stranger.

The young couple stroll the neat rows of Christmas trees, hunting for The One. Sounds of couples bickering, kids giggling, and families making memories fill the air.

As a nearby saw slices through the trunk of a skinny pine tree, Jim spins in a circle, arms wide. "Well, it can't be too tall or too thick."

Boots crunching through the snow, Linney pauses, running her mitten over prickly needles on the tree to her left. "This is the one, right?"

She sips the hot cider and laughs at Jim pantomime thinking with his hand on his chin, surveying the trees. "You're so silly."

She brings the cup to her lips once again while Jim leans over and kisses her cheek. "And you're so cute."

*************

"Hey, cut it out!"

Jim grins at Linney before stuffing another handful of popcorn in his mouth, then tosses some to Snoopy.

Since the boys own zero ornaments, she decided to string popcorn as a garland around the tree. On the way back, they paused at the store with the tree strapped to the hood to purchase the light Jim nimbly swirled around the tree like a blanket.

Now he was just needling her, stealing popcorn every few minutes.

"There's not going to be any left for the tree!"

Music crackles from the monstrous stereo underneath the television as they drain the bottle of red wine and decorate the tree they lugged into the building an hour ago. Several days passed since they had spent time alone, and after school on Friday, they promptly drove to the Christmas tree farm.

Snowy neighborhoods zipped past them as they flew down the freeway, holding hands in the car and raving about the most fantastic day off they could ever remember. Neither person had stopped smiling since the final bell signaled to release them.

Caroline's heartbeat speeds as she watches him from her seat at the table. His brown hair us disheveled from wearing a winter hat, and his eyes are bright and jolly with holiday magic.

Lifting one end of the string, Linney gestures for Jim to grab the other, and they gingerly hang it on the tree, then step back to admire their handiwork.

Linney tenses as Jim shifts, his hand grazing her hip. She exhales, trying to calm her nerves, turning to look at him, then promptly knocks the wine in his hand down the front of his shirt.

"No!"

"Linney, it's okay; it's not a big deal." His fingers undo the buttons on his shirt, and she forgot sentences with thoughts and the saying out loud of the things. Words! She forgot how to speak as her cheeks warmed, and she saw the tattoo on his chest.

"Oh my gosh!" Her voice is a soft exclamation as she runs fingers over the name on his skin. "That's—oh gosh, I'm sorry, I just touched you." She trails off, pulling her hand back in surprise before Jim grasps it and tugs her closer.

The roses and timepiece on his bicep bleed over to his pec where a lioness emerged, along with the name Ariella in elegant script.

"It's fine," he murmurs, enjoying the sight of her cheeks heating up. "I got this six months ago in vain, hoping healing would come along with it. Not exactly."