Chapter twenty nine.

Start from the beginning

How can you be betrayed by someone who was never really on your side in the first place?

The king smirked at my expression. I wanted to scream at him. Hatred burned through me. I wanted to kill him. I wanted to launch a dagger at his throat or bury my sword into his chest. I didn't care, as long as he was dead and I was the one that did it.

"You look rather awful today, Avaryn," said the king, his vicious eyes raking over my bloodied chest and I saw a sickening desire in his gaze.

"Burn in hell."

I saw Raiden give a slight shake of his head as if that was the stupidest possible thing I could say but I didn't care. Not anymore.

I've decided I hated him too and when this is all over I was going to kill him for what he did.

"Quite the temper you've established." The king did not sound pleased. He got up from his throne and instead of walking towards me like I thought he would he turned to Raiden. He lifted his hand. He struck Raiden in the face. I gasped as If he had actually hit me instead. I felt the pain just the same.
I hated him, I swear I hated Raiden but I couldn't stand the thought of him being in pain. I hated myself in that moment too, I hated myself for caring whether he was hurt or not.

Raiden didn't move or seemed surprised. Actually there was something like relief in his expression. Rage flared through my chest. I turned my burning rage on the king.
I growled through my teeth, my temper bursting out.

The king only chuckled and turned his gaze to his son. "You've gotten her rather attached haven't you?"

"Ugh," Roz cut in rolling her eyes. "This is boring, just get on with it so I can leave."

I looked at Raiden. He turned his head toward me, I expected to see pain in his eyes, regret, sorrow, but I saw nothing. Absolutely nothing in his black gaze. Of course he felt nothing. Because everything was a lie wasnt it?
The king stepped toward me and kneeled in front of me. He lifted his finger to my chin, gripping it firmly. "I have you once again, and this time I know everything about you. You will use the Vad on the Devara."

He said it like it was a fact. "I'd rather die."

Something like anger flickered in Raidens emotionless eyes. I refuse to believe it meant anything. I couldn't look at him or think of him, it made me sick just to think about. "Ah but If you refuse to cooperate I will take it out on him. I'll kill him." he pointed to his son. And as much as i wanted to hate Raiden, i couldn't take the thought of his father beating him.

I couldn't stand the thought of him dying because of me. Instead of showing this I laughed. "You think I care if he lives or dies? I don't."

The king smiled as if he'd been waiting for me to say something like this. "If you say so," he said then motioned for his guards to come forward. "Kill him," the king said pointing to his own son.

My heart beat rose. He had to be bluffing right? A sickening smile spread across his face, as he looked down at me. Raiden didn't move or run or fight against them; he simply let them drag him to his knees.

"Father what are you doing?" Roz asked in panic and stood up from her throne.

Roz was scared. What did that mean?

I swallowed. Would his father really kill him just to spite me? Was he truly so evil he didn't care about the life of his own son?

One of the guards lifted a sword and aimed for Raiden's neck.

"Wait!" I exclaimed, a sudden fear striking through me.

What is wrong with me? Why did I care? He stabbed me! And kidnapped me and I am supposed to hate him!