Her jaw clenches as her fists tighten, and she rests her forehead against her knees, trying to stay level-headed.

She wants to curse the gods.

She wants to hunt down and murder the Fates.

She wants to be dead in the Fields of Punishment instead of having to deal with this.

She hates this.

She hates being weak.

She hates constantly failing to regain something that was once part of her.

Yet it taunts her with its presence, doing nothing more than existing out of reach.

Growling, she takes out her frustration in the best way she knows how. Pushing off from the sandy ground, (Y/N) spins on her heel, walking towards the cliff behind her.

It acts as her target, and (Y/N) sends an unrestrained barrage of punches at the escarpment, a few specks of dirt falling as the only indication of damage. After a solid ten minutes of releasing her anger, she takes a few steps backwards, her shoulders less tense and knuckles severely bruised.

Annabeth notices them the second she sees her best friend the next morning.

"You complete idiot, (Y/N)! What on earth is wrong with you?" Annabeth continues to reprimand her as she nurses the swollen and scabbed areas, and (Y/N) remains quiet until she's sure that her best friend has stopped her ranting.

"Life is dumb," is all she states, nonchalantly, and Annabeth scoffs with a roll of her eyes.

"So are you, apparently."

"I'm surprised you never noticed."

An unsure silence follows before the girls start to chuckle, and Annabeth finishes wrapping up (Y/N)'s hands with a thin bandage. The daughter of Athena sighs, stepping back as (Y/N) fiddles with the wrappings. "I'm sorry," she whispers, guilt flooding through her at her best friend's weary and worried eyes.

"I've told you that you don't have to apologize," is the lighthearted response, but (Y/N) shrugs.

"You've done this every time, Annie, so I'm sorry for all of... this."

Annabeth tilts her head, frowning at (Y/N)'s slumped shoulders and averted gaze. "Hey," she starts, reaching forward to place a hand on her friend's bicep and making eye contact, "You're my best friend, okay? It's been a few months and nothing's really changed, so I'm not gonna let you deal with this alone. The universe is being a complete bitch to you right now, but that doesn't mean we'll let it get that satisfaction."

(Y/N) lets out a light scoff, knocking Annabeth's hand away as she stands up. "And what exactly do you propose?" she asks, raising an eyebrow at Annabeth, who shrugs.

"I was feeling like going blonde today," she offers, and (Y/N)'s lips form a wide smile.

"Yes! Let's do it!"

Annabeth laughs as her best friend nearly drags her to the Persephone cabin's exit, pulling her alongside as they jog over to the Big House. "Chiron!" (Y/N) exclaims as she bursts open the office door. The centaur— used to her random and enthusiastic entrances— simply hums in acknowledgement, while Mr. D., on the other hand, yelps in surprise and tumbles out of his chair.

He grumbles, rubbing his head while glaring daggers at (Y/N) from the floor. She doesn't pay him any mind, and Annabeth folds her lips inward to keep from exploding into laughter at the sight of the frustrated and embarrassed god. "Annabeth and I need to leave camp. It's important."