𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙀𝙡𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣 ➪ 𝙔𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙈𝙖𝙮𝙗𝙚-𝘽𝙖𝙗𝙮-𝘿𝙖𝙙𝙙𝙮

May 25, 1966
Juliette's POV

The doctor's office smelled like mint. I was shifting around in the waiting room chair every few seconds, uncomfortable. I hated doctor's offices. They always made me feel queasy.

I'd already filled out all the papers that I was asked to, so now I was just waiting. Caroline was next to me, and other than her, the entire place was empty.

She seemed to sense my tension, because she finally decided to speak up and say something. "How are you feeling?" she asked me.

It seemed like a rather silly question. I felt like I was going to puke. I was so nervous. Mostly because I knew exactly what I was going to be told. I didn't need to come here to find out if I was pregnant. Something deep inside was telling me that I was already. Instinct, I suppose. I guess I didn't really have to believe it, but it seemed like the faster I came to terms with it, the easier it would be. Besides, if they told me I wasn't, I'd feel a lot more relieved afterwards, and relief was quite a good feeling.

"Fine," I lied, looking down at my lap.

Caroline sighed. "It'll be alright," she told me.

"I hope you're right," I responded briskly.

If my parents knew where I was right now, they'd disown me. My family consisted of all strict Catholics. I'd pledged to abstinence at the age of sixteen and until three weeks ago, I was doing quite good. Now, however, I was surely screwed. They'd faint at me telling them I'd slept with someone. What would they do when I told them he was perhaps the biggest playboy in the world, and that I was carrying his baby? God only knows. They didn't even know I'd broken up with Liam because after sleeping with Paul, I had completely forgotten about that whole fiasco.

"Juliette Taylor?" A short, middle-aged woman asked me from the doorway. I hadn't even noticed her open the door. I was too absorbed in my thoughts.

I stood up abruptly. It was now or never.

ꕥ ꕥ ꕥ

I was in and out of the clinic in less than two-and-a-half hours, which was actually quite quicker than I expected. They told me that I'd have the results in a week or two and sent me on my way without really saying much else.

I left feeling just as deflated as I had before.

"Oh," I said carefully as we got back in the car. I pulled the seatbelt across my body and turned to Caroline. "I forgot to tell you something," I told her.

"And what's that?" she asked before turning the car on.

"I called Paul this morning and told him," I said quietly, my face turning red in embarrassment.

Caroline smiled. "You did? What did he say?"

"He seemed pretty calm about it actually. I told him that I'd meet him for dinner tonight to tell him everything they said today."

"Really? That's great."

"I'm a bit scared. What if he meets me just to tell me that he doesn't want anything to do with me?"

"Who does that?" she asked. "That would be such a dick move."

"Well, he is Paul McCartney. He's a fucking rock musician, they all have kids and leave them behind." I gulped. "Anyways, I should leave when we get back. I told him that I'd meet him at six, and it's already almost 5:30."

"You don't want me to just drop you off?"

I considered the option for a moment. How would I get back home? I suppose I could take a bus. "Actually, that might work," I replied with a smile.