Episode 5

excuse mistakes

Reagan Davis
Age : 19
Houston, Texas

(2 days later)

I was on my way home from putting in job applications and I was so exhausted.

Yesterday my landlord told me that I had until today to get my rent in but I didn't even have it all.

I went to the dollar store to get Raelyn more clothes and jackets because it was getting really cold. I also had to buy her another pair of shoes because the sole in her last ones were done with.

I also had to restock on food and hygiene products. I didn't get to buy me anything because I wouldn't have had enough.

After the trip to the dollar store I have about 300 left. Rent was $600 and my landlord wouldn't even take the $300.

I quickly went up the stairs to Ms. Debra's apartment.

I pulled out my track phone and sighed at the time. It was almost night and I knew she wanted to go play BINGO.

I knocked on the door waiting for a response. I waited and waited and then decided to knock again. Getting no response I frowned and looked under her doormat for a spare key.

To my luck there was one under it.

I put the key in the lock and turned the knob.

Walking in, I didn't hear anything so I went to Ms. Debra's room.

She looked like she was sleep and Raelyn was playing with the remote.

"Hey mama" I smiled picking her up.

"Ma" She repeated laying her head in the crook of my neck.

I lightly tapped Ms. Debra's shoulder to wake her up.

I expected her to at least squirm around but she didn't.

I frowned and shook her again. Getting no response again , I put Raelyn down and check her pulse.

I got no pulse and panicked. "Ms.Debra , come on wake up" I said tapping her face.

Grabbing my phone in a frenzy I dialed 911.

"Please send somebody m-my neighbor she's not breathing. 2678 Edgewood Apartment 18 please hurry" I said quickly.

"Ms. Debra please don't do this to me, I-I need you" I cried trying to do CPR.

5 minutes later...

I didn't even notice the paramedics were in the room until one spoke up. "Excuse me ma'am, we have to do our jobs"

"P-Please you have to save her, s-she's the only thing I got" I sobbed holding Raelyn.

I watched as the paramedics tried to revive her.

"I'm sorry ma'am but she's gone" The lady paramedic said.

"N-No please try again" I said shaking my head.

"Ma'am she doesn't have a pulse and she's in cardiac arrest."