0.1 Prologue, Before

Happiness. It's something that I have never really taken for granted until recently. As someone who has never had a good relationship with their parents, I know what it is like to not have a safe space. I got kicked out of my family home when I was 16, and ever since then I have been bouncing between couches in my friends garages but I never minded. I was always so thankful that I had the guys. So thankful that I got way too comfortable. That's all it took for everything to change. It set course a series of events that changed the outcome of the next 26 years. But before we get into all that, here's a bit of a backstory.

My name is River Beckett and I'm 18 years old (well I would have been... in three months). My dad walked out when I was 8 but it didn't matter because I had my mom. Until my mom got a new boyfriend, new family who really did not like me. When I was 11, I met a group of boys who completely changed my life, so the bad home situation never really bothered me. It was them who introduced me to the world of music and together we formed a band called Sunset Curve (Tell your friends). They became the family I had always wanted, Alex and Reggie becoming like brothers with me. I was close with Luke and Bobby but they had always intimidated me, though I would never tell them that of course.

When I was 15, Alex and Luke started dating which didn't really surprise any of us as they always had major chemistry with each other. I was happy for them despite me having a minor crush on Luke. The crush however was short lived as not long after Alex and Luke became an item I met Mason Smith. He was everything I wanted in a guy. He was handsome, tall, talented but despite all of that, there was just something missing. Something that I found whenever I wrote music with Luke in the studio. Still, I stayed with Mason for like an entire year until I just couldn't do it anymore. Yeah, that was an extremely rough breakup. Especially as three days after I broke up with Mason, Luke broke up with Alex. Lets just say, me and Alex watched My Girl at least 12 times in 3 days. Things didn't stay awkward between them though as we always put the band first.

Sunset Curve started to get recognised when I was 16. People knew our music and we started booking more and more gigs around LA. No matter how many gigs we played and how many offers we got from talent agencies, we knew we would never be happy until we played the Orpheum, the biggest club in the State. After years and years of grinding and booking gigs in some weird places in order to boost our following, and calling in every favour that we had in Hollywood, we did it. We were going to be headliners for the Orpheum. I was so happy. Like I said. Too happy. We decided to go clubbing to celebrate our big break. 5 of us went out together. 4 of them went home without me. Its not their fault. They looked everywhere for me, but how was they supposed to find me what I was literally invisible. I was grabbed by a tall man in a top hat when I was on my way to the bathroom and he's kept me for an extremely long time.

That brings me up to today. 2020. I have been with Mr Covington for 25 years though I still looked exactly the same as I did when I was 17. Willie assures me that I'm not dead, but couldn't explain to me why I haven't aged. I don't really stress about it though. It's not like it matters as I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get away from Covington. I perform in his house band as a backing singer and he has made it very clear he will never stop, or let me go, until he has perfected his band. And at the rate he is going.

He will NEVER be satisfied.