Chapter 43: Follow Me Down

Start from the beginning

Phil and I share a look at that. Both of us were there when she asked Janine about it. Her reply was a sigh and a simple answer of "If you insist," which isn't something I'd consider agreeing. Still Phil sighs and runs his hands through his hair.

"Fine. I guess now the horde is gone, a few wandering V-Types are less of a threat."

"It doesn't mean we shouldn't keep a lookout." I pat the gun strapped to my hip and gesture to my axe that's strapped to my back. "We don't know how many V-Types are still out there, and even one is dangerous. My weapons can't kill them, only stall them for a second. We can't be too careful when it comes to them."

They both nod, seeming a little more serious because of my words. But then the voice, one that I've noticed is using heavy voice-disguising technology, speaks again.

"First challenge: run to the banks of the river west of Abel."

"You heard him," Zoe says. "Come on, Five. Run."

I roll my eyes as I start a brisk jog, which apparently is Zoe and Phil's version of a run. They don't get out much, so I can't blame them for not being entirely used to running. I lick my chapped lips, internally cursing myself for the action a moment later since I know it will only make them drier because of the cold. I see why Phil was asking Zoe why she decided to do a nature segment now of all times.

But they like keeping people entertained, a job that's overlooked but very good for the people living today. With news of the V-Types spreading, and people actually believing it now because of the massive amount of damage they've been causing these past few months, people have been falling back into a sad and gloomed state like they were before the cure existed. Because of that, Phil and Zoe discomforting themselves to make others feel better is a rather notable thing.

Although I still make a face when we get to the river. I lift a low hanging tree branch so the others can go under it before leaning against the tree itself as we wait for other instructions.

"Did you make up this challenge just to force me to do some exercise?" Phil asks, and Zoe scoffs.

"Oh, I wouldn't do that... Well, I would, but this guy thought of it first."

She snickers, but it fades when the person speaks through our headsets again, his voice still heavily distorted because of tech and terrible signal.

"Leave everything but your most prized possessions and cross the river. You must leave the past behind to embrace the future."

"Oh, a swim?" I ask, looking at the river. It's probably ice cold. Not something I would enjoy.

"Looks like we're not the only ones here." Zoe points to a couple nearby. They set their things down, hoisting their radios over their heads and jump in. There's also a man who's stripping down to-

"Okay, I do not need to see that," I say, embarrassingly looking away from the idiot who, completely naked, jumps into the river. Zoe simply laughs and jumps into the river herself, and Phil follows.

I look at the river, then at the tree I'm leaning against. Its branches extend about halfway to the other side, and just a few feet from where branch ends, the branches of a tree on the other side of the river begins. I could make that jump, and while I hate heights, I also hate the cold. And the fear of heights would only last until my feet hit the ground. The cold would stay with me until I'm back home at Abel, and who knows how long this challenge will be.

So I start climbing the tee, checking on Phil and Zoe who are coughing and sputtering as they try to fight against the fast current. I bite my lip as I lean out against one of the sturdier branches, wondering if I'll have to jump in the river despite my efforts in order to save my two companions.