Janet Jackson-The Velvet Rope

Another great album from Janet. This was a change for Janet as she sings more about the friends she has and have lost, sexuality, abuse, being yourself, loving yourself and just reminding people that we are all the same and have the same needs. It's a drastic change from her last album which was more upbeat and sexual, it shows the pain and sadness she went through over the years.

My Review of the songs:
Velvet Rope -A great song about those who don't fit in and just want to be treated like everyone else. It speaks volumes to the LGBT community and was ahead of its time not just lyrically but musically. The various sounds of hip hop and classical music to a children's choir was just brilliant and Vanessa Mae must've made that violin burn the way she was playing it.

You -This song is about being yourself no matter what. Janet gives you that rock 'n roll edge with a hip-hop/pop/R&B sound.

Got 'Til It's Gone -It speaks about a relationship and how she lost something good. It also speaks about how we shouldn't take things for granted. It's amazing that she was able to get Joni Mitchell's permission to sample her song "The Big Yellow Taxi".

My Need - A sensual, slightly upbeat song talking about how she is in the mood. It is a good song to transition with. The interlude - Speaker Phone is funny.

Go Deep - A fun party starter type of song that is very 90's.

Free Zone -Great mix of music that goes back and fourth between new jack swing, hip hop and R&B with a hint of reggae. She talks about sexuality and how it shouldn't matter if someone is gay, bi or straight. We all should be free to be who we are.

Together Again - A great song about remembering those we lost upon the way, and that we should remember the fun times we had with them rather than the fact that they are gone, and that we will see them again.

Empty -This was truly ahead of its times. Listening to it back in 1997 is confusing and just doesn't seem to make much sense. What is she talking about? Online dating. This song would've been a hit if it was released in the early 2000's or even now!

What About -This is something that is hardly mentioned about in songs, and definitely not at the magnitude as this song, abuse. She talks about cheating, lying, emotional and physical abuse, and being able to say enough is enough. I don't think it got the recognition it deserved.

Every Time -This song is nice but you could tell they were trying to make it have that magic that "Again" had.

Tonight's The Night -This song was about a threesome. Even though she didn't write it, she has done it. The way she sings it, is different from any other song she has done, and it sounds lovely.

I Get Lonely - Perfection! The way the music plays and the way she sings it with such conviction in her voice you feel like you're in the same situation she's in, even if you haven't been there before. She pours it all out in this song.

Rope Burn -Ms. Jackson's baby making music is always unexpected, yet on point. After "Anytime Any Place" she just increases the sex appeal of these types of songs in such a sexy way that others may try to imitate it but can't duplicate it.

Anything -I like this song, it is like the continuation of "The Body That Loves You" (which should've been a single.) Sensual, melodic, it sets the mood right.

Special and Can't Be Stopped -Special is a spiritual song that is about how we have to deal with things that may have affected us in a negative way, and we must learn how to get through it for the best. It's a lovely song but it cuts off while she's still holding the note. Can't Be Stopped is a good song about how African-Americans should keep their heads up and know that they are strong and can do whatever they want in this world.

This is a great album that has a lot of passion, pain, love, and soul in it.