Eminem-Kamikaze

The internet explodes as Eminem dropped a surprise album release, Kamikaze.

Eminem is pissed and Kamikaze is his vessel to deliver his scathing message to all the journalists, rappers and, lets admit it, people in general who tore him and his album Revival apart at the end of last year. He is also tearing apart mumble rapping and artists that use ghost writers for their Raps. The beats are dark and heavy, probably some of my favorite he's ever had on an album. He's also fully utilizing his blistering chopping, delivering half the album at lightning pace. He's also got a few guests, including Royce Da 5'9, who is my favorite guest rapper as him and Em feed off each other.

There are two skits, one where Paul calls him and leaves a message and another where Eminem calls him back. Em's skit is probably one of the funniest skits I've heard on his albums. There are some songs that are a bit slower pace, three of which are about female problems, Normal a more tongue and cheek effort. Finally, Stepping Stone, is a heart felt song about fellow artists he was friends with back in the mid 2000's and how he felt bad that they have moved apart.

The remaining seven songs are all Shady at the helm, shredding journalists, other rappers and, of course, himself. I gave Revival a five star review, as I enjoyed it immensely. Revival was really Eminem stretching his artistic side with more musical backing tracks and hard topics, ranging from politics to deep introspection about his age and legacy. The songs on that album feature styles spanning his catalog over the years. So in my opinion, Revival was awesome album. That said, Kamikaze is a league above.

Eminem gave an interview in 2017 talking about staying motivated being so successful for so long and also being in his mid 40's where his career can really go. Ehm to quote one of his most iconic songs, The Way I Am 'Then attack Eminem 'cause I rap this way (rap this way)...
But I'm glad 'cause they feed me the fuel that I need for the fire
To burn and it's burning and I have returned'

That aptly sums up what all the hate for Revival has done for Eminem to unleash Kamikaze in retaliation. The Ringer, Greatest and Lucky You opens the album on fire. Lucky You has some of his fastest rapping, while featuring an impressive guest, Joyner Lucas. Laced with blazing bars and hurling insults at anyone against him. Paul's skit leads to Normal, a comical song about his choice in women, then Em's skit, followed by the surprisingly heart felt Stepping Stone. Not Alike starts the second half of the album off with Royce guesting, also features some of the fastest bars delivered by Eminem.

Fall might my favorite track on the album, where Eminem proudly proclaims 'You wanted Shady, you got him!'. The song is an angry list of things that Shady has problems with regarding the industry and Rap in general. It's a savage track delivered in classic Shady style, the beat is also fantastic. The title track, Kamikaze is a more playful song that still has a bite to it. Nice Guy is a bit tongue in cheek about his women struggles again, rolling seamlessly into Good Guy, which is the most tame and melancholy track on the entire album.

The album closes with a song called Venom, which has a wicked beat and his bars delivered angrily. The chorus is catchy and it's a perfect stylized close to the Kamikaze.
Kamikaze is the first album in years that allows Shady out to play so freely. Shady is even more malicious, hard hitting and effective with Em's ferocious speed raps and more mature delivery. Kamikaze is a rush of adrenaline and confidence, there is no doubt to Eminem that he is the best in the game on this album. Kamikaze serves effectively as a revival to Eminem's vicious side that has been missing over the last couple of albums.

If you missed Shady or were unimpressed with Revival, Kamikaze is exactly what you're looking for. Listen to it and buy it, Eminem is a force to be reckoned with on this outing.