"Why not?" he asked her, confusion evident on his face

And gosh, if his confused face wasn't precious. His eyebrows wrinkled and his nose scrunched up. She felt herself wanting to reach out to and touch his face. To straighten his eyebrows that had wrinkled.

No. You aren't allowed to think like that.

"Because, I don't like you." she lied eloquently

Luke's expression faltered and Indie felt her heart tremble. It was not in her nature to hurt another person's feelings on purpose. She desperately wanted to take it back. She hated the wounded look on his face.

Luke opened his mouth to speak when the bell rang startling both of them. Indie could not have prayed for a better solution. She didn't look at him as she stood up. Knowing she couldn't bear to hear his reply, she left before he could give one. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Luke was aware of the fact that he was a good looking guy. He knew that he had been very lucky in the looks department. However, he didn't have an ego the size of the basketball. He didn't think he was the hottest guy on earth or even at his school. He accepted the fact that some girls found him attractive and some didn't. He had also been taught that not everyone was going to want to be his friend. He wasn't a child. 

And sure if any other girl or guy had told Luke, that he or she didn't like Luke, he'd probably shrug it off. No skin off his bones. Yet when Indie said it, he was actually affected. Not because of her statement but because something was bothering her so much where she felt she had to lie. Because while he hadn't known Indie for a very long time, she was a terrible liar. Her body language had been off and she had barely been able to look him in the eye when she declared she wasn't a fan of his.

At least this had answered his questions. She had been avoiding him. While he expected it to be because she really didn't like him, Indie's real reason bothered him more. How could someone so beautiful think she wasn't good enough? What was it that made her unworthy to talk to him? What was it that she saw, that was blind to his own eyes?

Luke turned his head to peer at the brunette at her desk. She had all eyes on her notebook, deep in thought about the prompt the teacher had assigned. He felt himself wondering why she chose to sit in the back, whether it was teacher's choice or had she did it out of fear. He had noticed the ways she would shrink down to avoid being called on in class, even though she would already have the answer written down her paper. 

He looked down at his paper. Only a few sentences had been jotted down. Usually Ms. Winchester assigned freewrites, but this time she decided to be different and give them a specific topic. Cue, Luke's writer's block.

"Mr. Hemmings, is there a problem?" a female voice sliced through what he had been thinking

He looked up to see Ms. Winchester peering down at him. She had one eyebrow raised and her arms folded. Luke cleared his throat, trying to drum up a response.

"Yeah, I'm–er–I don't really understand what we're doing." 

"Oh." she said, her expression cooling,"Well, why didn't you just say so? I'm sure Indie would be glad to help you."

Luke turned to see the raven haired girl already had her eyes on them. A mixture of surprise and fear were painted on her face. Luke hated when she looked like that. He wanted to see a smile that lighted up her whole face.

"Indie, could you help Mr. Hemmings?" Ms. Winchester asked her

Luke watched as the girl bit her bottom lip before nodding her head instead of answering.