Last Day

My Snow Leopard seemingly flew across the snow as we raced the huge chunks of ice that sped along the half-frozen river. Breathing deeply, I looked out, admiring the way the river reflected the full moon.

"Are you ready Caelus? Let's see if we can jump the river." I whispered into my leopards' ear

She purred under my touch, and I laughed. Pausing, Caelus readied herself before charging towards the river. Inches from the icy bank Caelus rose up abruptly as a sound rang out through the silent tundra, throwing me backwards and burying me in the soft snow. Laughing, I struggled to pull myself out. Glancing upward I saw the faint outline of my friend, Monaley, fast approaching through the falling snow

"Everest!! Get back over here!! You can't be this far from the unit! We're going to get in trouble."

"Well, maybe I would if I could get out!" I called back.

Caelus let out a playful growl and started hopping around me. I threw some snow at her which landed on her nose. She settled down and stared down at the glistening white. Laughing playfully as she approached, Monaley made her way towards me with her wolves in tow.

"Ok, ok. Up you get." She said heaving me up and out of the snow.

"Not one word to the others." I bantered with her.

"Fine but tell me how, just How'd that even happened?" She asked, chuckling.

"I was thrown off when you talked. You spooked Caelus!" I replied playfully pushing her.

"It's not my fault you don't wear your harness." She replied laughing.

"Caelus doesn't like them. Besides, It's more fun without it." I said, patting Caelus' side as they nuzzled against my arm.

"Whatever you say. We should probably head back." Monaley said getting into her sled.

I gave her a look of curious confusion. She pointed to something behind me. My once joyous mood soured as my eyes fell on the border between the Zima and Šuma clans. The border was lined with dead, leafless trees that protruded out of the snow. The snow near the border had lost its brilliant white and was replaced with a dark brown. A frown formed on my mouth in distaste.

"I hadn't realized that we were so close or that we were away from the unit."

"Yea. We should head back now."

Momo raced off looking nothing more than a blur of snow. I made a step to follow but froze in my tracks. The hairs on my arm prickled. I slowed my breathing and strained to listen. Just as I was about to give up, there was a snap of a branch somewhere in the forest. The sound made me jump.

"Who is there!!" I called out.

Only the sound of the wind replied. I waited in tense silence, my eyes never leaving the forest. I strained to look for any sign of movement.

"Eve, are you ok?" Momo broke me out of my trance

"Huh? Yea. Yes, I am just fine." I lied, taking my eyes off the forest.

"You never listen very well." Momo teased me, her eyes looking into the forest.

"That's because I am too busy beating you in our race." I said, grabbing her attention.

"What race?"

"This one." I called out behind me, already 50 feet ahead of her

"Cheater!" Momo called, chasing after me.

We both laughed as we started our trek back to camp and the others.