Chapter 2: John

Chapter 2:  John

When the doorbell rang the next morning, I jumped up in surprise. Even though I knew exactly who it was and exactly what was coming, I couldn’t’ help but feel a glimmer of hope that I may be rejected as a suitable recruit. My mother made one last attempt at convincing my father to run away and live as Wanderers for the rest of our lives. I wouldn’t mind a life as a Wanderer, no need to worry about the rules, not a care in the world. My father went and opened the door to welcome the government agent in. The agent entered the living room to find me nervously sitting on the couch, my brothers glaring with arms folded standing behind the couch. My grandparents were sitting on the other couch next to mine. My father seated the agent on a chair in front of me and then took a seat next me; I had both my parents on either side of me holding my arms. It would have been the perfect family portrait, that is, if we were posing for the last supper.        

“Well then, shall we begin?” The government agent was a young woman with a stone cold glare far beyond her years. Her dark hair was stretched behind in a tight bun. “Hello Jonathan. My name is Cara Wilson, but you can call me Ms. Wilson.” Her ice blue eyes pierced into mine and matched her blue hazard suit perfectly, her suit was designed at the company my father works in. I recognized the logo on the collar. Her eyes looked into mine, they looked so soulless but yet there was also something else there. I just couldn’t put my finger on it.  

            “Erm, hi Ms. Wilson, you can call me John.” I said as I extended a shaking right hand.

            “Do pardon me, John but I don’t do…handshakes.” She had a look of disgust on her face, I hastily took my hand back; her demeanour wasn’t helping my nerves. She had gotten out a clipboard with the government insignia on it. “So John, I am going to ask you a couple questions to verify if you are qualified. I want you to answer truthfully.” I was slightly relieved at this, because this meant there was a possibility that I wasn’t qualified.

            “Umm, okay,” was all I could murmur.

            “First question, do you know the story of the Great Tragedy?”

            “Um, yes ma’am. My parents told me when I was eight.”

            “Alright then, moving on.” Her face was expressionless as she checked something on her clipboard. “What do you know about the Capital?” I was slightly confused as to where this was headed. I thought she would ask about my fitness or fighting skills.

            “Well, I know that’s where the government is, err….it was also where the original survivors first settled. It also has something to do with Veritas, the mysterious voice on the radio?

            “Alright, next question. What do you like to do in your free time?” If I wasn’t already a little confused before, this question totally threw me off.

            “Umm…well, I don’t really understand- “

            “The question is not that hard to understand Jonathan, just tell me what you do for fun when you’re not studying or in school.”

            “Umm, right okay. I like to play with my friends. We play all sorts of games; we recently learned a game from the Old Earth called Tag. But why are you-”

            “Thank you John that would be enough. Now for the final question,” She leaned in closer and her eyes blazed. “Have you ever gotten in a fight?” Now this question I liked, it would be the one to convince her that I am not suitable.