Thirty-nine

Depuis le début

Before now I had been still handling things as if we were still in the normal world. Now, however, I had come to terms that if he wanted to play dirty then I had no problem coming down to his level. I raised my hands seeing golden flames dance on my fingers as I passed the living room.

With everything that's happened between us, I had become restless, on edge. It hadn't helped that I was basically a hostage in what was supposed to be my own home. Ares had repeatedly threatened that he was going to break me, make me dependent on him.

I had come to realize he needed me to need him. He found great pride in me relying on him and his help. He flipped back and forth between wanting a submissive, docile mate to one that stood up to him, but he did mention that the idea of having an obedient mate wasn't very appealing to him.

So, for the past few days, I had only spoken to him when necessary and I could tell it was bothering him. He would do or say things to provoke me, but I chose to swallow whatever comments or reactions I'd naturally have. I had to hold out a little while longer.

I was going to make him so desperate and needy for my attention that he begged for the slightest ounce of my attention. And once he was at that point, right when he thought he had me he was going to wake up to find me gone. I was going to leave him as broken as he tried to make me.

You thought I was a monster before.

The words rang in my mind constantly. I feared him and I knew that the only reason he hadn't hurt me physically was because I was pregnant. If for some reason my plan didn't work out at least Pablo would be free, and I just had to hope that he wouldn't hurt me or my family.

Yes, I did fear him, but it was like he said the Fates chose me to be his mate. There was no one more capable of playing the beast than me. I was his one weakness, and I was going to exploit that in whatever way I could. I only had one chance and when the time came, I was leaving come hell or high water.

--

I had only been semi-ignoring Ares for three days and he was already getting antsy. It was clear that on day one he didn't take my word seriously. He'd walk around the house being obnoxiously loud and he went out of his way to do things to make his presence known. However, when I gave him no reaction he slowly began to stop.

By day two he would just stare at me trying to get me to look at him, acknowledge his presence in some way. I continued to ignore him. I had even gone as far as to sleep in one of the guest rooms. I'd fall asleep in the guest room and I would either wake up to Ares lying with me or he would have moved me back to our shared room. I just continued to ignore him.

Today we're meeting with our mothers regarding some wedding details. We were at the venue taking a look at what they had done so far. As we were going around our mothers were explaining what they had done and what still needed to be done.

The entire time Ares stayed practically glued to my side. "So, do you two like things so far?" My mom asked. I glanced around once more. "Yeah, looks good," I said not really caring one way or the other.

My mom and Emilia glanced at each other before looking at us. "Ahsha can we talk to you?" My mom asked. I nodded my head before following the two of them to a quiet area. "Yes?" I asked. "What is going on between you two?" Emilia asked.

"Nothing is going on. I don't understand." I said. "Well Ares has been clinging to you all day and you seem so uninterested. Is everything okay?" Emilia asked. I could have laughed in her face.

When I tried to tell Emilia, what was happening she didn't listen but now she was so concerned. I crossed my arms looking at her. "We're fine," I said. Emilia looked surprised at the change in my tone. "If that's all," I said before walking around them.

Ares

Instead of taking Ahsha home, I decided to take her to my uncle's restaurant. I ordered the exact same meal Ahsha and Malik had when he first brought her here. We stared at each other and I could see the wheels in her pretty little head spinning.

I knew this little stunt she was pulling was apart of some bigger plan. "I don't know what you may have planned but be careful. I will hurt you if you try me." I told her. I could see the shadow of a smile grace her perfect lips before she took a sip of her tea. "Hmm." She hummed nodding her head, but she said nothing.

My jaw tightened at the silence. "Nothing to say," I bit out. More silence. "Maybe we should pay Pablo another visit," I said. It was subtle but I could see her body tense at the mention of Pablo. "Or—" I paused leaning forward. "You could stop being a brat and—" I paused when I saw her chuckle. I raised an eyebrow. "Have I done anything to 'break' your rules, huh?" She asked. Technically she hadn't.

"From the silence, I'm going to assume I haven't." She said. "Why is it so imperative that I speak to you?" she asked rubbing her belly. "Because I am your mate." I snapped. "No." She said. "No?" I questioned. "I may be your mate, but you are not my mine," she said. It felt like I had been punched in the gut. "Excuse me?" I asked. She couldn't know, could she? I questioned. "I refuse to believe that the Fates would curse me with a man like you." She said.

I stared at her unable to speak. I had no comeback for her words. I was completely and utterly speechless.

"What? Nothing to say?" She said mimic my question earlier. "Did you think that after all the bullshit you've pulled my feelings for you would t change?" She asked. I stared at her. "This—." She said gesturing between us. "Is nothing more than a business transaction. An ends to a mean." She said. "Ahsha?" I questioned. "Do you love me?" I finally spoke. She scoffed. "You haven't given me a reason." She said. I stared at her. "Like I said earlier. You win." She said coldly.

Follow. Like Comment. Share.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas!