Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

02 | developpe

NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS WOULD ELAINE BELIEVE THAT SHE'D STEP FOOT INTO A KARAOKE ROOM. But lo and behold, tucked away in the city was Misaki's favorite karaoke place. And there Elaine was. Standing right at the door.

Elaine didn't think of herself to be a spontaneous person. In fact, she hardly went to events that weren't written on her calendar. Yet, somehow, after the chaotic events that occurred earlier that day, Elaine didn't want to die saying that she only studied for the entirety of her college career.

Elaine puffed her cheeks, watching her own breath dance and disappear into the dark air. She wouldn't let her own fears get in the way of a fun night. At least, she would try.

The fluorescent-pink lights outside of the NRB Karaoke building exploded across the alley's bricked buildings. The colors seemed to pulse with life, to welcome Elaine into the noise and chaos inside of the karaoke rooms. Elaine swallowed slowly and rubbed her fingers together beneath her leather gloves, still trying to decide if she was completely stupid or not.

Seven o'clock, she thought, blowing another sigh into the cold air.

They'll love you! Misaki's words zipped through Elaine's head once more. It couldn't hurt to go out just this once, right? She hadn't gone out since the beginning of the semester, and it was for the horrible, terrible "mandatory dinner" a few of her upperclassmen had insisted on. She still hadn't spoken to them since that incident.

But hopefully, this wouldn't go as poorly as Elaine had expected it to. So finally, after sucking in another breath, Elaine held her head up high and walked into the brightly lit building.

"'Laine, you came!" a loud voice called. The inside of the karaoke building was dimly lit, casting an eerie glow over the empty waiting area. It was a Wednesday night, so the building was rather empty, save for a few other students who decided to sing instead of study. Elaine finally turned to the loud and familiar voice, automatically greeted by a smiling Misaki. "Sunhi already sang a song," the girl began, tugging Elaine towards one of the rooms. "And Jiwoo is right about to begin." Misaki led her from the larger space and down a hallway, taking her time to peer in every door in the hall. Each door had a window, allowing Elaine a glimpse inside of each karaoke room. Despite the sound-proofing and sealed doors, she could hear the drunken voices and laughter floating from the rooms.

Elaine hurried along, trying to match faces to names in her scattered brain. "Sunhi is the tall one, right?" she tried. "Freckles?" She didn't expect Misaki to beam and nod.

"Correct," Misaki responded like a proud mother as she hauled a door open. "Jiwoo has the pink hair." Before Elaine could reply, she was yanked into a dark room lit with neon blue-and-yellow lights polka-dotting the walls like radioactive paint.

Five heads turned towards the opened door, two of which being the freckled tall girl and the pink-haired beauty Misaki had previously described. "Guess who finally decided to show!" Misaki announced, once again dragging Elaine to the center.

To her surprise, Elaine was greeted by a chorus of welcomes and smiles, invites and drinks.

"Elaine, so good to finally meet you!"

"Misa's roommate, right?"

A few other greetings in Korean flew past her ears as her brain was still trying to take in the scenery and new faces. Managing her best smile, she greeted them and shuffled awkwardly towards the back of the room.

She was seated quickly next to a tall boy with eyes that seemed to sparkle whenever he blinked. "I'll take the next song!" the boy yelled, although the room was small enough for everyone to hear.

icon lock

Show your support for kayla, and continue reading this story

by kayla
@belovedsun
Elaine has always known what she's wanted. But when too-happy Minjae...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 16 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @belovedsun.