Aaliyah-Self title album

Aaliyah's third and final album is most likely her most diverse. Each song has a different story as well as a different sound. You can see that she really broadened her musical horizons on this album. Every track on the album I fell in love with, but the ones I really enjoyed were "We Need a Resolution", "Loose Rap", "Rock the Boat", "More Than a Woman", "I Care 4 U", "Extra Smooth", "U Got Nerve", "I Refuse", "Those Were the Days" and "What If".
1. We Need A Resolution.
Ah, the first track and first single off the album. The songs talks about problems in a relationship. While 2001 was an era of happy go lucky music full or r & b singers and rapper cameos, Aaliyah takes a different route and comes with a gothic arabic song. I can see why it didnt fair well on the charts. This song is really ahead of it's time. Aaliyah never really followed trends and she always put her craft before her sales.

2. Loose Rap
This song is the most interesting, the beat sounds like something from TLC's "fanmail" album. In this song, Aaliyah and her songriter Static adresses people that were hating on her and her music camp. Aaliyah plays it cool, telling her haters she's not worried about them in the least thought. This is one of my faves.

3. Rock The Boat
The third single from the album. This song is the biggest single off the album (in the states). Why wouldnt it be? It's smooth, sensual, and sexy as hell. It gives you an island vibe. It's catchy too. "work the middle, change postiions." Aaliyah is telling her man how to work the bedroom. If there is ever a way talking about sex in a classy way, Aaliyah does it and does it well. Sadly the video claimed her life

4.More Than A Woman
If Aaliyah was going for high album sales, this should have been the first single. It's pop, it's fun, and it's memorable. It's her biggest hit off the album (overseas). It's like the sequel to the 2000 hit "Try Again". again, Timbaland samples some arabic beats. Aaliyah is telling her lover not to underestimate her.

5.Never No More
A sad song. Aaliyah tackles physical abuse in relationships in this one. I love the beat, and the bridge is the best part. You could really feel what she's saying.

6.I Care 4 U
This is the only song Missy Elliot penned for the album, sadly. This song has a classic feel, like the temptations or some other music band from the 50's. Aaliyah talks about caring for a man if he is heartbroken. Alot of older people fall in love with this song and Aaliyah proves that her voice is far more stronger than that of Janet Jackson or Ciara. This ballad is just beautiful, and it was also Aaliyah's favorite off the album.

7. Extra Smooth
This is an upbeat song, and it's the perfect way to get the party back started after the two previous ballads. The beat is hot, and it has seductive lyrics. The song talks about a man trying to get at Aaliyah, but he's trying to hard to be smooth. The song is cool.

8.Read Between The Lines
Aaliyah talks about confronting a cheating man. Aaliyah fuses hip hop and latin/salsa music in this one.

9.U Got Nerve
In This song, Aaliyah channels her biggest idol, Janet Jackson. She comes with attitude, but stil plays it cool. Aaliyah tells her Boyfriend she's tired of his bull. The beat is unique, and the hook is great. The pop effects also add some flavor. One of my favorties.

10. I Refuse
This is arguably her most crafty song off the album. It reminds you of the legend of sleepy hollow (the headless horseman). The piano is just beautiful, and Aaliyah's voice is beautiful. Aaliyah talks about she's tired of letting her man break her heart. The song is also quite long, but ever second is worth the listen. I still love this track though.

11. It's Whatever
Aaliyah talks about being in love (Damon Dash?). This track is just soothing and great. Aaliyah goes back into angellic mode, and rides her lullaby type vocals like the waves of the water. The lyrics are really touching and many couples could relate.

12.I Can Be
This song is just pure awesomeness. Aaliyah fuses Rock with a dash of hip hop. Aaliyah talks about her desire of being with a man, the desire is so bad, that she doesnt care about being his mistress. The beat is dark, edgy, and demanding. I think this song woulda did well as a single.

13.Those Were The Days
This song is just awesome. It has potential to be a summer anthem. Would have been a great single choice. Aaliyah talks about her boyfriend not being the same as he was when they were first dating. The beat is amazing, and the verses are more catchy than the hook. It just makes people get up and dance. It's a great female anthem.

14.What If
Unlike "I Can be", This song is 100 % rock influence. Aaliyah talks about a hypocrital cheating boyfriend. Aaliyah talks about cutting him and even killing him.

15. Try Again
Does this song REALLY need a description? It's the biggest hit of her career and even broke a billboard record. It's fun, pop, and catchy. The video is hot too with a Jet Li Cameo. This is the song that made me obessesed with Aaliyah. This is a GREAT way to close the album out.