Touch Deprivation: When in Doubt, Hug it Out

Happy Holidays all you lovely people! Here's the extra one shot I promised and over time, I'll be adding to it :) The one shots won't be connected, but they'll all be in the same universe! This also won't have a regular update schedule like When Trauma Comes Knocking, this is more of a cathartic, venting series that I'll add to whenever the mood hits me 3

This first one is about touch deprivation or starvation, which I'm sure all of us can relate to in these times ;-;

TW / as the tags say, we delve into anxiety-related topics so please be careful if you're sensitive to the topic!

Have fun and stay safe 🖤🤎❤️️🧡💛💚💙💜

---

Peter sits on the edge of the sixteen story building, feet dangling towards the street below as cars inch their way through the lunchtime traffic. Golden beams of the midday sun reflect in his lenses, but he doesn't feel their warmth. It's not the same. He sighs and a cloud of steam floats through the crisp, winter air.

"May has texted you that she won't be able to make it home tonight for dinner," Karen softly relays the message. "Her shift has been extended." Peter closes his eyes and focuses on the chilled breeze.

"I know." For once, his voice is ladened with defeat and acceptance. This has been the usual for the past few months. May has to work extra shifts to keep up with the ever-increasing bills, he has school and Spider-Man, mix those two together and they've seen each other for a total of four hours in the past week. He's been counting. He knows keeping track isn't a good sign, but what else is there to do?

"Peter?" Karen's voice reaches him through the deep thoughts. Peter opens his eyes and hums a response.

"Hm?"

"Are you alright?" He considers the question. Ned and MJ have been asking him that a lot lately, but he hasn't quite found a good way to answer it. He just...doesn't know how he feels. He's not sure he does feel. He just kind of exists.

"I miss...people," he settles on. It doesn't feel right, but it doesn't feel wrong, either. Feelings are difficult and he doesn't have the energy to decipher them. Instead, he pulls his knees to his chest and wraps his arms around them. The pressure against his chest feels nice. Comforting, even.

"You saw MJ and Ned today," Karen gently reminds, trying to coax more out of him without pushing it. Peter takes in another deep breath before shrugging.

"I miss May," he finds he's able to clarify. He loves his friends, but coming home to an empty house for two months straight is different. If it weren't for patrols and workshop days, he'd go stir crazy over the break.

"You had dinner with her last night," Karen attempts, her voice sweeter than usual. "That was nice." Peter continues to stare at the pedestrians as they cross the street in hordes.

"The only reason we ate together was because we both got home at 2am and had leftover Chinese takeout," he counters without much thought. Even to his own ears his voice is monotonous. He feels like he lost a part of himself, but it makes him feel selfish. May's working hard to make sure they can get by and he's a bit lonely.

Either way, last night was a rough patrol and he ended up unceremoniously climbing through the window at 2:13am all battered and bruised. That's all he's gotten recently. Nothing but punches to the face, kicks to the stomach, bruises to the ribs, blood coating his hands. Nothing but violence. He hasn't had a single, positive touch in two months. No hugs, no loving hand rubbing his back, no lingering touch in his hair, no gentle thumb smoothing over his palm. Nothing but violence violence viole-