Coloring

About a month after the open house I found out my mother was pregnant. I found out from Luke instead of Liz.

He was also the one who told me Liz almost left TJ because she freaked out when she found out she was pregnant.

She thought the same thing would happen with TJ that happened with Jimmy. I did get a call from her later that week though.

She told me about how she wanted to be better for this baby and how she was sorry for not being there for me.

I told her I was happy for her and TJ, and I honestly am, but I can't help but feel a bit jealous.

I'll give her credit, she has gotten a bit better at the mom thing, but it hurts knowing it took her this long to get where she is.

This kid will already have more than I did because not only will this baby have her, but will also have it's father.

They will also have Luke, which is the best thing a kid could have. A Luke. I wish I had Luke sooner to be honest.

It is kind of weird to think my sibling will be younger than my daughter. Lory will have an aunt or uncle that is younger than her.

--

It's a Girl! My half sister's name is Doula. Nice going Liz. They called and convinced me to come to Stars Hollow for Christmas. Lory is excited to meet her aunt.

When we arrive in Stars Hollow, the first thing we do is go to Luke's. Luke and Lorelai currently aren't on the best of terms at the moment.

Christmas with my mother seems like it will be the only celebrating he'll be doing. Lory and I were both sad to hear Rory was in London for Christmas.

We enter the diner at a time when it happens to be dead. I take our coats off and put them on the rack by the door. Luke emerges from the kitchen.

"Uncle Luke!" Lory says as she runs up to him.

He grins and scoops her up. They hug each other tight. Lory pulls back and looks at him.

"Missed you," she states.

"I missed you too," he replies.

He looks at me.

"Uncle Luke!" I joke, not nearly as enthusiastic as Lory.

He chuckles, pulling me into a side hug.

"It's good to see you Jess. How are things?" he asks.

As he talks he walks over to a table and sets Lory in one of the chairs.

"Things are good. Nothing has really changed since that last time we talked," I reply, taking a seat next to Lory.

"That's good. Are you ready to see your mother and meet your sister?"

"I don't think anyone is even fully prepared to encounter Liz Danes, but yes. It's nice to be back."

"Good. You two want food?"

"Mac and cheese!" Lory replies.

I laugh.

"She loves mac and cheese."

We didn't have many meal options at home. It wasn't a problem of affording it. It's just that with an apartment full of guys our collective culinary skills aren't all that great.

"Well, think I can handle that. What can I get you, Jess?"

"I was hoping to get you to watch Lory, so I could wander around town a little before going to Mom and TJ's."

"Jess-"

"Please? Just for a couple of hours."

Then an idea popped into my head.

"Lory, you wanna hang out with Uncle Luke for a little bit, while I go do some stuff?" I ask.

Her eyes light up and she gasps.

"Yes!"

"I don't know," he says.

She looks up at him with those big brown eyes.

"Please?" she asks.

He sighs.

"Fine."

"Yeah!" Lory exclaims, standing up on her chair.

"Ok, I'll get her bag from the car and I'll head off."

I stand up and kiss her head before making her sit again. I get her bag and leave it by the door.

"You be good," I told her before leaving.

Luke's POV

After I got Lory's food, customers started showing up again. It's about the time it starts picking up for Lunch.

When things started picking up after about an hour I started to regret agreeing to watch her. I kept looking over at her.

After she finished eating she started occupying herself with things she pulled from the bag Jess left. She is currently coloring.

I go up to the counter to check someone out. After I finish and they leave I feel a tap on my leg. I look down to see Lory. She holds up some pictures she colored.

"Uncle Luke. For you," she says.

I take them. There are two pages she tore out from her coloring book. One is a lion she colored pink and green, and one of a dog she colored red and blue.

There is also a drawing she did on a white piece of paper. It's of a stick figure man wearing a blue hat. I look at her.

"Is that me?"

She smiles and nods. I bend down to pick her up. She wraps her arms around me and I hug her tight.

"Thanks, Kiddo. Should I put these on the wall?" I ask.

Her eyes light up and she nods. I laugh.