Walk In The Snow

Spending time with family has been nice. Lory loves Doula and everyone else. Mom is over the moon now that she has two girls to shop for.

It's now Christmas morning. I grab all of our stuff to head over to Mom and TJ's. Luke closed the diner so we could all spend the day together.

We were going to eat breakfast and then open presents. I wasn't super thrilled to be up this time of day, but normal families tend to do the whole Christmas thing pretty early.

I have Lory dressed in a Christmas dress Mom bought her, with some white, thermal leggings underneath. She also has on a black peacoat, and her black boots.

"You got everything?" Luke asks.

"Yeah," I replied.

I pick up Lory and her bag. Luke had taken all of the presents and put them in the truck. We walk downstairs and Luke locks the diner door behind us.

I put Lory on the ground and put her bag in the bed of the truck. I look down at her and see her sticking her hands up to the sky, catching snowflakes.

"You like the snow, Lore?"

She doesn't reply. Instead she starts catching them in her mouth instead. Once she catches some she lets out a giggle.

"Snow!" she cheers, making me laugh too.

I bend down to pick her back up, and give her a kiss on the cheek.

"Yeah. Snow."

I open the truck door to get in.

"No. Snow," Lory says, sad.

I look around and think for a second before closing the door again.

"Hey, I think we'll walk there," I tell Luke.

"You sure?" he asks.

"Yeah. It's not that far, and she seems to really like the snow."

"Alright. I'll see you in a bit," he replies, climbing into the truck.

As he drives off I place Lory back on the ground and take her hand. I'm not worried that she'll run off, but I was worried that she'll fall because of the ice and snow.

Like any almost three year old she's gotten the hang of using her feet, and she loves running around and playing.

What she hasn't totally gotten the hang of is doing that in shoes, especially her boots that she is absolutely in love with.

I myself am in a pair of blue jeans, a long sleeve red shirt, and my black leather jacket. I also have my gray hoodie on underneath as an extra layer, as well as my own black boots.

We get to the corner and I tell Lory to look before we cross the street. When it's safe she pulls me along and we cross.

Taylor is standing outside of the market. Apparently he was going to visit his family later in the week, so he kept Doose's open in case anyone needed anything today.

It seems like that was a smart idea because I can see a couple people through the window. He was also wearing an ugly red Christmas sweater and a Santa Hat. He sees us as we walk up.

"Merry Christmas," he says cheerfully.

"Hey, Taylor," I replied.

"Hello!" Lory says, happily, waving at him.

"Well, hello there to you too. Would you like a candy cane?" he asks, holding on out to her.

"Yes, please."

"Say thank you," I remind her.

"Thank you," she says with a smile.

"I like your hat," she tells him.

"Thank you. I like your bows," he says, referring to the ones on her pigtails that had the same red and green plaid pattern as her dress.

"Thank you," she replies.

This time not having to be prompted.

"Where are you off to?" he asks me.

"This was the first time she was out in snow fall, and she didn't want to get in the truck, so I decided we'd walk to my Mom's."

As I talk I watch Lory look over her candy cane and then stick it in her coat pocket for safekeeping before reaching for my hand again.

"Well, I hope you both have a good day. Merry Christmas," he says, before heading back into the Market to get out of the cold.

"You too, Taylor."

As we go to start walking again someone else comes out of Doose's.