Chapter Three

The Mandalorian was either stupid or he didn't care if she killed him.

Starving her was the only way to ensure her captor's safety, even the Trandoshan had understood that. And the one before him. And before him.

But Valda wasn't going to complain about the food. The second it hit her system, she felt the energy surging. Unfortunately it also seemed to awaken a few pain receptors as well. But she could handle that- would gladly take the pain if it meant regaining her strength and power. Just one ration wasn't enough to get her fully back but it was better. And if the Mandalorian had spoken true and did not plan to starve her it was only a matter of time.

Patience was essential.

Valda knew he was taking her to Moraband. She knew it was systems away from where she had been taken. She was counting on it- one week, maybe two. Her strength would return and she would snap the Mandalorian's neck before he had a chance to think. This ship would be hers along with the weapons and his armor. A considerable amount could be made from the pure beskar. Though she would have to be carful about where she sold it. That kind of sale attracted a lot of unwanted attention.

But with his ship she was free to settle on any backwater planet she wished. Or hide in plain sight in a giant city. The ship also ensured escape- something she did not previously have. If any other bounty hunters or mercenaries came looking she could dispatch them, pack up her life and move to the next system.

Kill, cleanse and repeat. The cycle could go on forever.

The Mandalorian stood with her back to him, trusting the flimsy chains to hold her. He methodically cleaned each blaster and rifle, removing it from the arsenal of weapons he kept behind the durasteel panels. Each piece was taken apart, wiped down, reassembled and then replaced to it's spot. He was nothing if disciplined. He finished the last weapon and closed the paneled doors as the ship rocked in space, exploding from hyperspace.

Immediately an alarm sounded from the cockpit, a high pitched beeping. The Mandalorian spun toward the sound and disappeared behind the hissing doors.  The ship shuddered and then lurched forward. Valda pressed herself against the wall and listen closely over the hum of the engine. The unmistakable sound of guns firing exploded through space.

She heard the Mandalorian swear loudly from the cockpit and then the ship banked, dropping sharply. Crates tumbled and smacked against one another as the Mandalorian spun the ship, spiraling away from the fired shots. Valda grasped the chain bolted to the wall and hung on as the ship banked again and then abruptly dropped.

Her stomach rose into her throat and a flying crated crashed into her body. She hissed in pain, shoving it away with her feet. More shots rang out and the ship shuddered. An explosion rocked the cargo hold and the entire ship lurched sideways. Valda was thrown to the right, the chain snapping around her wrists and jerking her to stop.  She let out a groaned as it yanked on the joints, bruising the skin. The ship dove and spun a final time and then shot into hyperspace.  Valda hissed in pain, her body aching.

The cockpit doors snapped open and the Mandalorian stormed out. His entire body was rigid in the beskar armor. He walked to Valda and grabbed the chain bolted to the wall in one hand and yanked hard. Valda was dragged toward him and he grasped both her shoulders, throwing her against the durasteel plating. The breath spilled from her and her head snapped back, striking the wall.  The Mandalorian's hand shot out and wrapped around her throat. "Who the fuck are you?" He snarled through the helmet.

Valda choked, her fingers grappling helplessly at the hand wrapped around her throat.

He loosened his grip on her neck, helmet pressed so close to her face she could see her reflection. "Answer the damn question."

Valda coughed. "I have no idea what you are talking about-"

"Do not fuck with me," He slammed her back against the wall so hard she saw stars.  "I am not in the mood. Now tell me, why are there mercenaries waiting for my ship the minute we drop from hyperspace, ready to blow us to bits? Did you know they would be there? Did you call them?"

"I don't know.  I don't-"

His grip tightened around her throat. "Don't fucking lie."

Her fingers strained at his, his hand like an iron vice. "Why would I know the people ready to kill me? If I called them, they would try to take me. Not blow up your ship."

The Mandalorian growled, shoving her away. "I want answers. My employers made no mention there would be anyone else in pursuit of you or that I would experience any type of complications."

Valda hit the ground, blackness edging her vision as she gasped for air. The wound beneath the shock collar burned as if someone had set fire to her skin. Her throat bruised from his grip. She coughed, tasting blood in her mouth.

The Mandalorian was staring down at her. "I've already collected you and your fob. You should be off the system. I was told no one else was given a fob for this job."

"Well," she said hoarsely, "it looks like someone lied."

He towered over her.  "Why? What makes you valuable enough to warrant such a high reward and multiple tracking fobs?"

Valda stared at the ground, bracing her hands on her knees. "I don't know."

"You're lying."

"I swear to you, I have no idea."

"Then why do you have a bounty on your head? What did you do?"

"I thought you didn't ask questions." Valda coughed again and blood dripped from her face.

The Mandalorian let out a growl. "They gave me nothing. Not even your name."

Valda managed to ease herself into a sitting position. "They hired you because you're the best. They knew you would get the job done."

The Mandalorian stared at her. She sensed if his helmet were off, his gaze would be forever unyielding. "Do you know them?"

"Know who."

"My employers," he said.

Valda looked away from him. "I'm done talking."

The Mandalorian's hand clenched into a fist and Valda braced herself, closing her eyes. But the blow never came. She opened her eyes.

The Mandalorian was gone.

Valda leaned her head back. She needed to kill him and get the hell out of here.

Soon.