chapter 12 -treacherous waters.

stella.

"my what?" i feel tears welling in my eyes as they burn into him. dr. hemmings looks extremely unsure of what to do. he's been put in an uncomfortable position, between whether to comfort me or treat me as a patient. i wish he'd do something because my heart feels like it's going to fall right out of my chest.

i start to sit up, being met with a similar flare of pain in my back, and let out half a whimper. if the tears weren't falling before, one has definitely slipped out now. he gently, yet with a touch of firmness, guides me back down to the bed by my shoulders. "hey take it easy there pretty girl. your body isn't ready for that yet."

there's another patch of silence where the two doctors exchange glances. i nervously try to decipher the conversation they're having with only their eyes. dr. kennedy nods slightly and leaves the room. my eyes are back on luke as he sits down on the bed next to me.

"is this the scary stuff you were talking about earlier?" i whine with a lump in the back of my throat.

he nods painfully, "but i promise you it's going to be okay. it won't be as bad as you think and i'll be right here the entire time, unless you'd be more comfortable alone. everything is up to you angel."

"and i have to do this?" i whine again.

"it's just not a safe idea not to. i don't want to keep reminding you, but you were assaulted honey. she needs to make sure everything's okay. i can give you a relaxer before she does the procedure. it'll help calm you down. does that sound okay?"

i nod and try to wipe away my tears with the back of my hand, forgetting there was an iv in one of them. dr. hemmings gets up to grab a syringe to insert into that iv. i feel the cool liquid as it rushes through the tubing and watch him focus on the heart monitor as he injects it.

"it's gonna take a few minutes to set in. how are you feeling right now?" he sits back down next to my side.

"like the world's biggest crybaby." i answer honestly with the red, puffy eyes to prove it.

this makes dr. hemmings sigh, "stella, you're not a crybaby. you just went through something-"

"save it." i cut him off, shaking my head. "i don't want to hear it anymore. not another 'you're so strong, you've been through so much' speech, please."

"do you just want some comfort?" he asks.

i answer by scooting over, making more room for him to sit on the small hospital bed. he accepts the invitation and scoots in next to me. i rest my head on his shoulder as he strokes through my hair. the relaxer starts to hit me, or maybe it's the comforting feeling of someone combing through my hair. i can't remember the last time i felt this. when i was really little maybe, before everything went so horribly wrong. a big yawn slips out of my mouth.

the door quietly opens and shuts again as dr. kennedy walks back in. she's a very quiet lady i've observed. i feel very calm and almost ready to fall back asleep. luke starts to lean me off of him so that he can stand beside the bed, but the moment he lets go and i notice dr. kennedy sitting at the base of the bed, i feel jolted awake.

"luke!" i cry out, as if to say 'where are you going? don't leave me!' this dependency i feel on him is so strange. i'm not at all used to leaning on someone, but in this moment, i just need some comfort. i'm scared. i'll admit it.

he grabs my hands and interlocks them with him, "you're okay stel. i'm right here. stay relaxed just like you were before and it'll be over before you know it."

i feel her positioning my legs in a certain way that already makes me feel more exposed. the cold air hits my skin and makes little bumps pop up all over. i squeeze his hands tighter subconsciously as he rubs his thumbs over my knuckles.