Chapter 6

Elaina and Victor remained quiet for the remainder of the drive. Victor reentered New York City, heading back into Manhattan. Elaina gazed out the window at the blurred lights, crossing her arms over her chest. Michael's gun sat in her lap, on her dark green skirt, looking seriously out of place.

"Where are we going?" Elaina eventually asked.

"A safe house," Victor replied, turning into a garage next to an apartment complex. "Neither Tony nor my father know about it. We'll be safe here."

For how long? Elaina wanted to ask, but she kept her mouth shut.

Victor parked the car and stepped out, Elaina opening her car door. Victor took hold of her arm, gently, and guided her over to the exit, Elaina concealing the gun in the folds of her coat. She'd forgotten to take it off in the panic after the shooting and then the whole thing with Victor and Tony. It was fortunate for her, for otherwise she would have left home without it.

Lost my phone, my purse, I no longer can go home, I don't have my car, or any money...at least I have my coat. Otherwise it would just be me, Michael's gun, and the clothes on my back.

And Victor, of course.

Victor and Elaina entered the apartment complex, taking the elevator up to the fourth floor. Victor led her into Apartment 411, locking the door securely behind them. "Do you have your phone?" he asked.

Elaina shook her head. "I lost it in the parking garage."

"Good," Victor said. "I mean, not good that you lost your phone, but good that you don't have it. We don't want to be tracked."

"What about yours?" Elaina asked.

"It's a prepaid burner," Victor informed her. "Kept secret from my folks. I left my phone at my house. I'm sure it's been searched already." He gestured to the kitchen. "Let's get something to eat and then you can go to bed. I'll take the couch, you can have the bedroom."

Elaina held up her hands. "Aren't you going to tell me what's going on first?"

Victor was silent for a moment, studying her. "Okay, Elaina. You're caught up in this as much as I am now, so I might as well tell you." He pointed to the couch. "You might want to sit down first, though."

Elaina and Victor walked over to the couch, sinking into the couch cushions. A wave of tiredness swept over her and all she wanted to do was curl up and go to sleep. No, not yet. Listen to Victor first. As it was, Elaina kicked off her high heels, massaging her sore feet as she glanced over at him.

Victor placed one arm on the back of the couch, turning in his seat to face her. "Okay. Where do I start?"

"Maybe with why the shootout in the garage happened," Elaina suggested. "Or why exactly your brother and father want us dead."

"Both excellent places," Victor murmured. "But I think I'll go a little further back, it'll make more sense to start there. Okay, Elaina, you might not believe this, but it's all true." He sighed. "Man, this is hard."

Elaina raised an eyebrow as she curled her legs up underneath her, putting Michael's gun down on the floor by her shoes. "I'm ready, Victor."

"Okay," Victor said again. "My family – the Andrisanos – we're kinda caught up in some shady business."

"Okay," Elaina said, waiting.

"I'm just going to say it. Elaina, my family is part of the Mafia."

Elaina's jaw dropped. The Mafia? Like, the families who participated in organized crime? That Mafia?

"The Mafia?"