Bullied

The bullying started the next day.

It was (Y/N)'s first day in classes. He wasn't as shy as yesterday. He was still nervous, and he always made sure to stay close to us. I started to notice he was mostly staying close to me, and I was strangely happy when I realized that.

We went to class, and I noticed that he waited for me to sit down so he could sit next to me. And it made me even happier.

It seemed like a good day so far. But it only went downhill from there.

I could see (Y/N) starting to look more and more depressed as the class went on. I was concerned. Then, I remembered hearing Cardin make fun of him back at the auditorium. I started to grow angry as I considered the possibility that people were making fun of him. So, I zoned out the teacher, and what I heard shocked me.

"How does he sit in a chair with those fins?"

"What would happen if we pulled his tail?"

"So weird."

I grew angry, and started petting (Y/N), even though I knew he wasn't a dog.

"I think you're cool," I whispered.

He looked at me. "You can hear them?"

I nodded. "Don't listen to them. They're jerks."

He smiled. "Thanks." But his smile disappeared, and he rested his head in his hand, and looked at the table. "But I can't. They're right. I'm a freak."

"No you're not," I whispered. "You're just different. And that's what makes you special."

"I wish I could believe you," (Y/N) said.

I felt a pain in my chest. I didn't like seeing him like this, and I intended to change this.

Soon, class came to an end, and I kept close to (Y/N), guarding him from anyone who would try to attack him, verbally or physically. I spotted Team CRDL watching from a corner a couple times, and every time I'd steer (Y/N) clear of them.

(Y/N) ended up being in all of my classes, which was both a blessing and a curse. I used it as an opportunity to consistently make sure he wasn't hearing any of the bullies, but it also made me lose some focus in classes.

There were definitely bullies, but I continued to cheer (Y/N) up. And it seemed to really work. He started to gain a bit of confidence, and even started telling jokes.

However, the worst came in the cafeteria.

I was eating my food, introducing (Y/N) to Team JNPR, and keeping an eye out for bullies. I couldn't see any sign of Cardin, so I thought we were in the clear.

Key-word: thought.

I heard (Y/N) yell in pain, and I turned around to see Cardin laughing, and tugging his tail. I couldn't take it anymore.

"Cut it out!" I shouted.

Everyone around me was shocked. We'd talked about how much Cardin made us mad, but Jaune was the only one who actually stood up to him. Even then, it was only once.

"Oh, calm down," Cardin said. "It's just a joke."

"Well it's not funny!" I said.

"Calm down!" Cardin said. "I'm just messing around! No harm done!"

"Oh, right!" I said. "So he's screaming for no reason! No harm done whatsoever! Get a life, Cardin!"

Suddenly, (Y/N)'s tail swung to the side at a surprising speed, sending Cardin flying. His teammates gasped, and ran to his side.

Everyone was looking at him in shock and fear, even my teammates.

Everyone but me. I turned to (Y/N) with concern.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

He nodded, taking deep breaths to soothe the pain.

"Freak!" Cardin yelled to (Y/N), before walking off.

"SHUT UP!" I practically screamed to him, and I saw him speed up a bit.

I didn't care. I continued rubbing (Y/N)'s back, while everyone else went back to their own business. Knowing everyone in the school, I know all of them, even my teammates, would've avoided (Y/N)'s sharp dorsal fins. I didn't. I let my fingers touch his fins, not a care in the world.

(Y/N) started to calm down.

"Thanks, Ruby," he said.

I smiled. "Of course."

"Are you okay?" Blake asked.

"I'm fine," (Y/N) answered.

I was happy everyone at the table was starting to be supportive, but then my sister pulled me into an embarrassing hug.

"I'm so proud of yoouu!" she said.

"Stop!" I said. "You're embarrassing me!"

(Y/N) started laughing. As embarrassing as that moment was, it made me smile. I liked his laugh.

So his first day wasn't very good. But it started to get a little better that night. (Y/N), Yang, Jaune, and I started playing Remnant: The Game together, while the others watched, cheering us on. (Y/N) was confused about how it worked at first, but he started to become a natural as the game went on, and he won.

"Nooo!" I cried. "My fearsome warriors!"

"I can call a truce with your forces," (Y/N) said.

I smiled. "That would be nice."

I caught Yang smirking at me. At the time, I was confused. Now, a part of me wishes I understood.

But that's besides the point. (Y/N) had fun for the first time. Or at least the first time at Beacon. And I was happy.

And then, as we headed to bed, I was the last to get into my pajamas. As I came out from the bathroom, I walked into a shocking conversation between (Y/N) and Blake.

"Hey, (Y/N)?" Blake said. "I have something important to tell you."

"I'm all ears," (Y/N) said.

Blake slowly reached for her bow, and took it off, revealing her cat ears.

"I'm a faunus," she said.

(Y/N) looked at her ears, unfazed.

"I don't understand," he said.

"I have kept this secret for a while," Blake said. "The only people who know found out on accident. Our teammates found out when I let some words out, and Team JNPR found out because my teammates told them."

"So... why did you tell me?" (Y/N) asked.

"You're my teammate," Blake said. "And my friend now. I get what it's like to be discriminated for who I am, and I wanted you to know I understand, and I trust you."

He smiled. "Thanks. I appreciate it. So, I'm guessing you'd like for me to keep this secret."

"Yes, please," Blake said.

"Don't worry," (Y/N) said. "I won't tell anyone."

She smiled. "Thanks. Good night."

And with that, she went to bed.

I smiled. "See?" I said. He turned to me. "How many times did I tell you? You belong here."

He smiled back. "I guess you're right."

And with that, he lied down on his mattress, while I climbed into my bed. As I fell asleep, I looked down to (Y/N).

He looked peaceful. He didn't look nervous, or scared. He looked happy, at home. I couldn't think of anything better to see before falling asleep.

I just wish I could see him like that again.