ᴇɴᴛʀʏ ᴛᴇɴ

𝗼𝗹𝗱 𝗲𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀
𝗮𝘂𝗴𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝟵, 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟵

as i helped willow put on her pool floaties, a strong scent caught my attention.

"billie!" i yelled, quickly realizing the veggie burgers on the grill were beginning to burn.

she rose to the surface, previously underwater, and flipped her wet hair out of her face.

"the burgers!"

"oh shit-- shoot." she cursed and corrected herself, just as she had done many years ago in the middle of that restaurant.

"momma, i'm fifteen remember? you can curse." izaiah chuckled after rising up to the surface too, pausing their breath-holding contest.

"yeah i know, but it still feels wrong." she admitted before hopping out of the pool to attend to the food.

the three of us watch as billie almost slips on her way to the grill, making us erupt in a fit of laughter.

no matter how old she gets, she'll forever be as clumsy as a toddler.

with a big goofy grin on her face, her hand lifts up and i could tell she was seconds away from sticking up her middle finger, out of habit of course, but she decides against.

instead, she asks izaiah if he wants cheese and he shakes his head.

a while ago, we chose not to force veganism onto our kids, a mistake a lot of parents made. if they wanted to be vegan or not, was up to them. izaiah, thought for himself, and chose to commit to the lifestyle.

willow doesn't really understand it, so she continues to enjoy her chicken nuggets.

eventually, billie shouts that the food is ready and sets the picnic table.

everyone disperses from the pool and takes a seat, our bodies dripping with chlorine water.

izaiah removes his invisalign and doesn't hesitate to dig in.

together, we laugh and talk and laugh some more.

i take a moment to appreciate my surroundings and how far we've come.

billie and i met nine years ago, right before we both turned eighteen.

she was a troubled delinquent, often misnamed as a douche or a dick. she rocked heavy, metal jewelry and baggy clothes. on the inside, she was soft but would never confess to this truth.

and i was a content, sensible girl with mommy issues.

hence, my attraction to billie.

we went through our ups and down, which consisted of a gun shot wound, depression, and a break up.

somehow, we ended up in portland, oregon, where i graduated college and became a successful business marketer and billie became a household name as a musician.

during that time, we lived our best lives and did crazy shit. i even recall the night we both got a little too drunk and billie woke up with a tattoo on her rib cage, directly under her left tit.

after that wild period, we decided to settle down and have a daughter. three years later we then adopted a teenager.

izaiah pirate anderson-o'connell.

to put his story short, because he didn't like talking about it too often, his parents passed away in a car accident when he was thirteen and has been in foster care ever since.

as we all know, the system is fucked and no one truly cares about the well being of kids who happen to placed in that very system. especially, teenagers.