Chp. 14- Abandonment Issues

I dashed to the kitchen counter to grab Sarah's car keys and ran out to her car as fast I could. As soon as I stopped in front of the police department, I saw the two cops take Sarah inside. I got out of the car and followed behind them. Sarah was sitting on the bench while the cops were talking to a man in a suit.

"Sarah!" I said rushing towards her.

"Excuse me sir, are you family?" The man in the suit asked.

"He's my cousin." Sarah lied.

He nodded while one of the cops walked towards us. "Look like it's your lucky day Hart." He said realeasing her from her cuffs. "They dropped all the charges. But they do wish to see you."

"Who's they?" I asked the cop.

"Mr. and Mrs. Hart."

"Your parents?" I asked looking to Sarah. Her head was down and all the color drained from her face. What the hell did she do to her parents?

"Hello, Sarah." All three of us turned around to find a man and woman standing behind us. The man had brown gelled hair with streaks of gray and white coming through. Underneath his glasses, his eyes were the same as Sarah's. He wore a vest and tie. The woman standing next to him was in a navy blue dress and high heels. She had Sarah's light brown hair and her award winning smile. I automically knew these were her parents.

The cop nodded to us before leaving us alone. "It's so good to see you again." Mrs. Hart confronted stepping towards Sarah but stopped.

A little unsure of how to feel about her parents, I grabbed a hold of Sarah's hand and squeezed it. She turned to me giving me a small smile in return.

"Is this Owen?" Her mom looked at our connected hands then turned towards me with worried eyes. Just before I could correct her, Sarah interrupted. "This isn't Owen. He left, remember? This is my friend Taylor." She dropped my hand. Ouch.

"Oh excuse me, Taylor." She smiled.

"It's fine."

Her dad joined us after talking to the cops. "Sarah."

"Father." She muttered.

"Now why is it that I always find you in these troubled situations?"

"Maybe if both of you acted like real parents and been there for me when I needed you, I wouldn't be in this sitaution right now." She shot back.

"Sarah, please." Her mom begged. "We were both so clueless of what to do. I know we didn't make the right decision, but were so sorry for what we did. If you could just.. please come back home with us.."

Sarah's eyes were starting to water and her fists were again balled at her side. "How dare you!" She shouted. "How dare you have the audacity to even ask me to come back! After everything I've been through, I needed the both of you! You two were so blinded by what other people would say about you, you kicked me out and left me for shit!"

Her dad stood back with a blank face. Now I was starting to get a little angry by her parent's request. I have no idea what happened between them, but I know it's not right to leave your child when they need you. I should know.

"Baby, please." Her mom choked on tears. "Just come back. Please come back. Were so sorry."

"Speak for yourself, Diana." Mr. Hart spoke up. His face showed no emotion when he spoke. "If you would of just listened to us in the first place, this wouldn't have happened. We told you he didn't love you, that he only wanted you for one thing. But you were so quick to spread your legs for him anyway."

I stepped in front of Sarah who was now frozen in her place. Anger now rushed through me, giving me all the adrenaline I need to beat the hell out of this piece of shit. "Watch it." I warned through clenched teeth.

His face was taken over with pure amusement by my behavior. "And who are you?" He chuckled. "Another guy she's screwing?"

"Harold, that's enough." Her mother begged of him but he paid no attention.

"I'm someone who actually cares about her. Someone who isn't going to leave her." I spoke in a low dark voice. These people are even worse than my parents. I felt sorry that Sarah had to live with this for all her life.

"Taylor, let's go." Sarah grabbed a hold of my arm, pulling me back. "Take me home, please."

I gave in, realizing it's a bad idea to start a fight in a police department. I stumbled back then followed behind Sarah leaving her worthless parents standing there.

"Let me drive." She said reaching for the keys in my hand. I pulled away before she could grab them. "No. I'm driving. You're still a little drunk" I barked.

"Taylor." She looked at me with pleading eyes. My gaze softened. I was too selfish of my own anger that I forgot that she needed something to distract her from this night. I reluctantly handed her the keys then climbed into the passengers seat.

The sky was turning into a lighter blue, meaning the sun would rise anytime now. Her eyes were fixed on the road ahead of her as we drove home.

"Are you okay?" I asked a little worried. She was calm, too calm.

"I'm fine."

"Do you want to talk about it?" I needed her to tell me everything that happened if she wanted me to help her.

She closed her eyes just for a brief moment before returning back onto the road. "No."

I slunk back into my seat. I didn't want to put her in a worse mood than she already was. But I still wanted to know what happened between her and her parents. Why did her mom think I was Owen? Was Owen the guy from her diary? Why did her parents kick her out exactly? I wanted to ask her all these questions. Instead, my mouth stayed shut. The rest of the car ride was spent in silence.