"Go and get the cops," his dad said as Brie whimpered softly.

"Dad, let her go!" JJ yelled.

His dad gritted his teeth and clamped down his hand on her shoulder harder. Brie cried out in pain, her knees buckling. JJ's heart was in his mouth, hands trembling as he tried to hold the gun straight.

"Dad, please," he begged, "I'll shoot. I swear to god I'll shoot you right now."

"You're gonna shoot me?" His dad sneered, "What? And shoot your girl in the process? Sure, go ahead."

JJ hesitated. He knew that he wouldnt be able to get a clear shot without the risk of hurting Brie. She looked at him pleadingly, tears shining in her eyes from where his father's fingers were digging into her bullet wound.

"You're telling me this girl is worth more to you than ten grand?" He sneered, shaking Brie violently. She closed her eyes and pursed her lips to avoid showing JJ any more pain. He was somewhat grateful for that. "You're gonna let one stupid fucking whore get in the way of us having that cash?"

JJ brushed his finger over the trigger lightly, arms shaking with the adrenaline as anger coursed through him. He wanted to put a bullet right through that man's head; shut him up for good. But he wouldnt take the risk with Brie in the way.

"She's worth more to me than money, dad," JJ said, "Unlike you! You're fucking worthless and I hate you, I hate you so fucking much."

"Yeah, well fuck you!" His dad screamed back, "I never wanted you in the first place, now I'm just stuck with you. You and all the shit you cause me-"

Brie suddenly dropped down, slipping out from his grip. Before his dad could even realise what had happened, Brie jumped back up and struck her fist into the man's throat. He clutched his neck and fell to his knees, gasping like a fish out of water. JJ stepped forward and cracked the handle of the rifle down onto the back of his head, knocking him out cold. Brie and JJ both panted for breath, looking down at his dad lay flat out on the floor.

Brie turned and pulled him into a hug, pushing her face into the crook of his neck so that her lips brushed against his skin. He snaked his arms around her waist and hugged her tight, goosebumps covering his exposed skin. He tangled his fingers in the back of her hair and planted rushed kissed on the side of her face.

"You're okay," he breathed out in relief, "Brie, I'm so sorry."

"Hey, it wasnt you," she said, "Its okay. Lets just get out of here."

He took her hand as they ran out of the house and got back into Kiara's jeep. JJ pulled the key out of his pocket, dangling it on the chain from between his fingers. He held it out to Brie and she took it from him, turning it over in her palm.

"Well, this is my ticket out of here I guess," she said.

"Yeah," he nodded, pulling out of the driveway, "Seems that way."

"I wish it wasn't like that," she mumbled from the backseat, "I wish I could stay here with you."

JJ's heart warmed in his chest. "I know you do, princess. I do too. But we have to get you out of here so that you're safe. That's my main priority right now."

He glanced back and saw her smile at him, but then caught sight of the pain crossing her face. He frowned. She sighed and gave him a tired smile.

"Its just my shoulder," she reassured him, "It'll be fine, just a little sore."

JJ gripped the wheel harder. Her shoulder was hurting because his stupid fucking father had grabbed her so violently. He took a hand off the wheel, digging around in his pocket until he found his juul. He passed it back to her.