Chapter 10: Good

Chapter 10:

The Summer Interhigh preliminaries were rapidly approaching. Never once had Oikawa and Iwaizumi attended nationals in junior high or high school, and since it was their last year of high school, they felt immense pressure to win and make it to the top.

After volleyball practice, the two were walking home together. Oikawa was venting to his best friend about how his girlfriend was still upset with him for forgetting about their date and how he had blamed it on Kaiya. Iwaizumi listened patiently but something told him that Oikawa was simply finding someone to blame for his mistakes. Or... maybe... There was another unspoken reason for his frustration. Oikawa could be pretty stubborn - it was one of his greatest strengths and weaknesses, ultimately.

"You don't hate Miyazaki." Iwaizumi pointed out casually.

"Yes, I do!" Oikawa huffed angrily, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his Aoba Johsai jacket.

"No, you don't."

"Yes... I do."

"You're unbelievably dumb, Shitty-kawa." Iwaizumi rolled his eyes.

His best friend's stubbornness would be his downfall if he wasn't careful.

"Wha- Why are you so mean?!" Oikawa grimaced.

"Let me give you an example," Iwaizumi cleared his throat, "A few weeks ago when you first worked on your chemistry project together, you got her favorite pastry... A cinnamon roll, without her asking. Why did you do that?"

"Well- Okay... So..." He pursed his lips together, thinking deeply about his response, "I was already in a bakery buying milk bread for myself and I thought it would be the polite thing to do to bring her a snack while we worked on our project!"

"Alright, that makes sense, I guess..." Iwaizumi crossed his arms and smirked, "How did you know it was her favorite though? I never told you that it was her favorite."

Oikawa's eyes widened in panic as his gaze darted around their surroundings. He was obviously avoiding his best friend's teasing and inquisitive stare.

"I... She... I just know, alright?! Oikawa scoffed, "That doesn't mean anything. I still hate her. I just happened to know a useless fact about her!"

"Right..." He chuckled, "And you know, she mentioned that you said something strange to her the other day."

"... What?" Oikawa mumbled meekly.

There were a lot of questionable things that he had said to her these past few weeks. His thoughts were even worse - it felt like they were constantly gnawing at his brain, slowly making him go insane. Oikawa didn't exactly know when all these confusing and conflicting thoughts and emotions started to appear.

Maybe it was when he saw that damn painting of hers.

"She said that you said something kind of nice to her... Almost like a compliment." Iwaizumi smiled smugly, "What's that about?"

"I didn't compliment her." He shook his head in protest.

Why would he ever compliment Miyazaki Kaiya? She had absolutely no redeeming qualities, that's for sure... Oikawa thought to himself.

"Sure... Sure... Just don't deny it, Oikawa." Iwaizumi sighed tiredly.

"Deny what?" He raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

"The fact that you don't really hate her like you say you do." His best friend stated, causing him to stand still.

Iwaizumi stopped in his tracks and stared at him curiously.