Chapter 12: Legendary

Chapter 12:

The Fall Interhigh Preliminaries were tough for Oikawa, Iwaizumi, and their teammates. Although they had defeated so many schools like Johzenji High, Date Tech, and Karasuno High, when it came down to it, they weren't able to defeat their main opponent, Ushijima Wakatoshi from Shiratorizawa.

Oikawa felt empty. The air around him felt tight and his body felt like it was suffocating. They were still in the gymnasium as the game had just ended.

Was he not enough?

Was he weak?

Should he just give up?

"Oikawa..."

He heard a familiar voice murmur and as he gazed up, he noticed Miyazaki Kaiya staring at him. Her resolved expression suggested that she didn't pity him.

"Came to gloat?" He asked half-jokingly.

Kaiya's team won against Niiyama High with a final score of 30-28 the day before. They would be attending Interhigh as the Miyagi representatives for the girls' volleyball team in Tokyo.

"How did you know?" Kaiya smiled subtly.

Oikawa frowned and stared at the floor. He couldn't look at anyone right now. He had narrowly defeated Karasuno and yet, he still couldn't defeat Ushijima. What a cruel twist of fate.

"I'm obviously kidding." Kaiya chimed in.

"Ah... Well, congratulations on making it to nationals." Oikawa murmured.

"Thanks..."

Awkward silence flourished around them and he didn't know why she had approached him. They weren't even friends.

"What are you doing moping around?" Kaiya asked, causing him to jerk his head up at her unexpected question.

"Uh, my team just lost?" He muttered bitterly, "Some of us aren't geniuses, you know."

"Stop moping around." She declared coolly, her eyes gleaming with sincerity.

"Thanks for the advice..." Oikawa sarcastically commented.

"You lost today but that doesn't mean you're a loser," She added, "You're Oikawa Tooru, for god's sake."

"What's that supposed to mean?" He rolled his eyes.

"You're stubborn and relentless," Kaiya stated, "You're... you."

Oikawa held his breath as he watched her attempt to explain what she meant. He couldn't tell if she was complimenting him.

"Just... Don't give up..." She mumbled, quickly looking away, "You're kind of... legendary."

His heart instantaneously dropped at her comment. She was complimenting him? Kaiya hastily spun around and began walking away before he could even say anything else. Oikawa stared at the palm of his hand. He had worked way too hard to get to where he was.

There was no way he was giving up just because he lost one tournament.

"Are you going to help us pack up?" A voice interrupted his thoughts.

He looked up to find Matsukawa staring at him.

"Yeah..." Oikawa stood up and smiled, "I am..."

"Okay... And why are you smiling like that?" He shook his head and muttered, "Weirdo..."

"Eh?! What did you say?" Oikawa frowned, "Oi! Matsukawa! Respect your captain!"

As soon as they had packed up their gear, Oikawa and his teammates stood in front of their school bus. Their coaches were talking to Shiratorizawa's coaches, and he could tell that everyone on his team was disappointed and upset at the results.

"What are you doing moping around?" He crossed his arms, causing his teammates to look up at him inquisitively. Iwaizumi was just as curious too.

"Well... We lost, Oikawa-san..." Yahaba mumbled tiredly.

"I know that!" He huffed, "Stop moping around!"

His teammates blinked in confusion and wondered if Oikawa got hit in the head by a volleyball a little too harshly.

"What are you going on about, Oikawa?" Hanamaki sighed.

"It's normal to be disappointed," He answered, "Let's not forget..."

Oikawa's cheerful expression changed as he stared up at the cloudy sky,

"Talent is something you make bloom."

He looked at his teammates, his eyes shining with resolve, and said,

"Instinct is something you make polish."

"What does that mean, Oikawa-san?" Kindaichi asked softly.

Oikawa chuckled softly, "It means, don't let the geniuses get to you, Kindaichi. Keep on working hard and make them eat dirt."

"Don't do that last part," Iwaizumi chuckled, "But... Oikawa's right."

"Iwa-chan?"

"We may have lost this tournament but we've still got one tournament left this year," He explained, "Let's focus and work hard for Spring Interhigh."

Cheers erupted from their team and Oikawa felt a little bit better. His mind suddenly traveled to the girl who had called him legendary.

Huh... He felt better and it was because of Miyazaki Kaiya.

"So, usually you're in a sour mood for a whole week after a loss like this..." Iwaizumi smirked, "What happened? Are you back together with Nakamura-san?"

"No," Oikawa answered, sighing deeply, "I just realized that I happen to be way too legendary to mope around, Iwa-chan."

"Right..."

"Let's get on the bus! We gotta practice!" Oikawa exclaimed.

"Are you crazy? We gotta rest..." Iwaizumi shook his head defeatedly.

Although Oikawa had lost, he felt like he had gained something else.

He just couldn't quite figure out what it was.

~

A few days later

Kaiya was convinced that she had to tell Iwaizumi how she felt. According to Shimizu and Sugawara, it was too unhealthy to keep her feelings bottled up. Additionally, Oikawa had implied that she might have a chance with Iwaizumi which only fueled her courage and determination.

She dialed Iwaizumi's number and he answered instantly.

"Hello?"

"Iwaizumi..." She took a deep breath, "Can we talk... In person?"

"Sure... Want to meet up at our favorite coffee shop?" He murmured.

"Okay..."

"I'll meet you there in 20 minutes." He stated.

"See you then." She cleared her throat apprehensively.

Kaiya's heart fluttered as she ended the call. She stood up and faced the mirror, staring at her reflection.

It was finally time to tell Iwaizumi how she truly felt about him.