Chapter 39: Greedy

Chapter 39:

Oikawa couldn't believe that Shiota Chiharu agreed to meet with him in person. Because she remembered their conversation about volleyball, she agreed to meet with him despite his passive-aggressive email to her a few days ago. He was impatiently waiting for her to arrive at his house but he couldn't sit still. He would rather be hanging out with Kaiya but instead, he was waiting for the idiot artist.

The doorbell rang and Oikawa rushed over to the front door, nearly tripping over the carpet. He swung the door open to find a plump middle-aged woman with dark brown hair, green eyes, and a warm smile in front of him.

"Oikawa Tooru?" She asked.

"Yes, hello, Shiota-san..." He greeted, inviting her inside the house, "Please, come in..."

"Thank you..."

She entered his house and the two made their way to the kitchen table, where Oikawa had prepared tea and some cookies and pastries baked by his mother.

"I must say, I was surprised by your email..." Shiota chuckled as she removed her coat and sat down.

"Surprised?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Yes..." She took a sip of the green tea from the cup as Oikawa sat down with her, "I've never received an email that simultaneously complimented and insulted my decision-making abilities..."

"Right..." Oikawa cleared his throat nervously, "It wasn't my intention to insult you... I just wanted to ask you about why you didn't choose Kaiya - I mean, Miyazaki - to be part of your exhibit."

"Ah..." She smiled, "I remember her portfolio very well. She submitted about ten different paintings, all of which showcased her astonishing skills..."

"Yes, exactly..." He grimaced slightly, "Her art is amazing so I don't understand why she wasn't chosen."

"While she has the ability, talent, and understanding of the practicalities of painting such as sketching and coloring, I found that her paintings were bland." Shiota stated, watching for Oikawa's reaction.

"Bland?!" He exclaimed exasperatedly, "What..."

"Yes... Bland..." She repeated, sighing with disappointment, "There's no truth or emotions behind them. While I admire her talent-"

"I respectfully disagree with you." Oikawa interrupted her, causing her to raise her eyebrow curiously.

"Why's that?"

"Can I see her portfolio?" He crossed his arms, "I want to see what she submitted to you."

"Well, I suppose..." She took out her laptop and clicked on a few things before opening up Kaiya's portfolio.

Oikawa scrolled through her various artwork - there was a painting of her and her family, buildings in Tokyo, clouds in the sky, and other scenes that he wasn't familiar with. They were all amazing, according to him, but he didn't see Kismet, the painting she gave him for his birthday, in the portfolio.

"Kismet isn't on here..." He muttered to himself.

"Did you say something?" Shiota asked.

"Wait right here," Oikawa stood up abruptly, preparing to jog up to his room, "I'll be right back!"

"Alright..."

As soon as Oikawa reached his room, he slammed the door open and gently picked up the painting, Kismet. It was a vast landscape overlooking the serene sunset, where vibrant strokes of warm colors like purple, pink, and indigo clashed together to form the horizon. Faint, white splashes of color represented the stars, and there was a small figure gazing up at the starry sky.