Chapter 5: Collision Theory

Chapter 5:

"Miyazaki! Open up!"

Kaiya ignored Oikawa's shouts from outside her door and proceeded to eat her breakfast which consisted of leftover cheese pizza and cold coffee. She told him to come to her house at noon and the fact that he was outside her door at 10 in the morning made no sense.

"Open the door! Hello?!" Oikawa whined.

"It's not noon yet, Oikawa!" Kaiya exclaimed nonchalantly, "I need to mentally prepare myself so that I can deal with you."

"I know it's not noon yet but I promised my girlfriend we would meet up later so can we work on this project now?!" He banged the door repeatedly, irritating her.

"Why didn't you text me that last night then?!" She huffed exasperatedly.

"I fell asleep watching an alien movie!" He explained, kicking the door over and over again, "Open! Open! Open!"

Kaiya took a deep breath and stomped over to the front door. She slammed the door open, causing Oikawa to yelp in surprise. He wore a dark blue hoodie and black track pants which made it look like he just woke up. His dark brown hair was messy and all over the place, and he had dark circles under his eyes, suggesting that he hadn't slept much.

"Good morning, Miya-chan!" Oikawa grinned exaggeratedly, pushing her aside so that he could enter her house.

"Whatever..."

Oikawa plopped down on the sofa and scanned the vicinity. There were boxes, books, and scattered pieces of paper all over the place. He noticed that the dishes weren't washed and that there was a pile of (clean?) clothes on a chair.

"Do you not clean?" Oikawa grimaced, disgusted by his surroundings.

"I was going to then you arrived here two hours before we were supposed to meet." Kaiya muttered.

"Let's just work outside." He sighed, standing up cautiously to go to the backyard.

Kaiya reluctantly followed behind him as she grabbed her laptop and textbook. The next few hours were going to suck.

Oikawa slid the door open and was stunned at the painting displayed in front of him. Splashes of bright colors engulfed the canvas, reminding him of a happy memory he had nearly forgotten. It brought back memories of his family playing volleyball at a park as the sun set... That was all before his parents' messy divorce, of course.

"Wow."

"What?" Kaiya mumbled.

She followed his gaze and her soul nearly shattered the second she saw him gawking at her painting. She immediately sprinted in front of him to cover it with a white cloth.

"Don't look!" She exclaimed, embarrassed and alarmed.

Oikawa was going to make fun of her painting-

"It's nice." He murmured unexpectedly.

Kaiya gazed up at his soft expression, and in particular, she noticed his eyes, which were often mischievous and playful, appear to be somber.

"Thanks...? I think..." She responded slowly.

"It's nice enough." Oikawa cleared his throat, snapping him out of his strange trance.

Kaiya rolled her eyes and strolled over to the table so that they could begin their project. Oikawa trailed behind her, trying his best to return to his normal, "jovial" self. As the two sat down, he took out a brown paper bag from his backpack.