Chapter 6: Envy

Chapter 6:

Kaiya was on her way to the daycare where she volunteered with Sugawara and Shimizu. In the last few weeks, she had become pretty good friends with them. Next week, she was going shopping with Shimizu at a nearby mall. Kaiya was nervous but at the same time, Shimizu was kind to her so she knew she was going to be fine. Maybe Oikawa's words actually had an effect on her.

"You should go out and make more friends." Oikawa's words echoed in her head.

Nonetheless, even though she didn't like the fact that he was right, she put more effort into developing friendships with other people. It was difficult because she was often reserved and introverted but Sugawara and Shimizu were both so easy to talk to. 

Kaiya continued walking down the street with her headphones on when she bumped into someone familiar. The boy she recognized had a large, muscular yet lean build and dark olive-brown hair. He had a stoic expression, making him look intimidating. She recognized him as none other than Ushijima Wakatoshi, one of the top three aces of high school volleyball players in Japan.

"Ushijima-san..." Kaiya murmured shyly.

He was undoubtedly attractive but he seemed to be unapproachable.

"Oh... Miyazaki-san..." Ushijima blinked a few times, stopping to greet her, "Hello."

"Hey... Training for Interhigh?" She asked as she removed her headphones.

"Yes..."

"I see..."

Ushijima looked at her awkwardly, not quite sure how to continue their conversation. They knew of each other but they never got a chance to properly have a conversation. Kaiya noticed his pensive expression and thought that he resembled a somewhat confused puppy. She let out a small chuckle.

"Why are you laughing?" He asked slowly.

"Iwaizumi and Oikawa make you out to be this monster but you're not, are you?" Kaiya sighed.

"I'm not a monster..." Ushijima cleared his throat, "I'm human."

Kaiya froze for a few seconds before letting out a mirthful laugh.

"What?" He mumbled worriedly.

"You're so strange, Ushijima..." Kaiya smiled, a wave of relief crashing through her.

Iwaizumi and Oikawa often described Ushijima as some unconquerable, heinous opponent that must be destroyed. She believed them, mostly because Ushijima's aura on the court during matches was absolutely frightening. However, standing in front of him now, with his messy hair, sweaty face, and pouty expression, Kaiya realized that he wasn't a monster.

He was just Ushijima Wakatoshi.

"Oh..." He grimaced.

"Not in a bad way! In a good way!" She reassured him.

"Oh..." Ushijima's eyes brightened a little, clearly relieved, "Thanks..."

Kaiya looked at her phone and was stunned at the time - she was going to be late! Sugawara and Shimizu were probably at the daycare already. She had to hurry.

"It was nice talking to you, Ushijima-san..." She exclaimed, "I have to go. I'm late for something!"

"Of course..." Ushijima cleared his throat apprehensively, "It was nice talking to you too."

"By the way, good luck at the preliminaries!" Kaiya added.

"Good luck to you too, although I know you won't need it." He murmured, his eyes conveying candor and sincerity.

"What makes you say that?" She asked bashfully, her heart fluttering from his words.

"You are very skilled. I don't doubt for a second that your team will win the preliminaries." Ushijima stated coolly.

Kaiya blushed, feeling the heat creep up on her face, "Oh... Thank you."

She began to walk away, only for Ushijima to call out her name unexpectedly.

"Um, Miyazaki-san!"

Kaiya spun around, meeting his timid gaze. He stepped forward and took his phone out of his pocket.

"Would you... Uh..." He looked away quickly, clearly embarrassed, "I would like to be... friends..."

Kaiya smiled softly, "I would like that too."

After exchanging numbers, she waved goodbye at him and jogged down the street to meet up with Sugawara and Shimizu. Kaiya was proud of herself - she was making actual friends.

Take that, Oikawa.

Meanwhile, at that exact same time, Oikawa was angry.

Like, seriously pissed off.

He was driving down the street with his older sister and nephew when he saw Ushijima Wakatoshi, the genius ace from Shiratorizawa who he had never beaten. Oikawa wanted to throw the smoothie he bought earlier at him but before he could get the chance, he noticed that the girl he was talking to was none other than his chemistry partner, Miyazaki Kaiya. Oikawa only saw their interaction for a brief moment but he did notice how they seemed to be laughing and talking with one another. Not to mention, it seemed like they were exchanging numbers...

Oikawa didn't quite know what this strange feeling was bubbling in the pit of his stomach but he knew he despised it.

After Oikawa and Kaiya worked on their chemistry project that day, he thought that they were becoming... civil towards one another. She was actually laughing at his jokes - something she never did before. He wouldn't say they were friends but...

"Tch..."

"What's wrong, Tooru?" His sister, who was driving, asked curiously.

"Nothing." He muttered, crossing his arms.

"Is it Ayame-san? Is she still upset at you for ditching her at dinner the other day?" She murmured.

"I didn't ditch her... I just forgot that we were supposed to meet," He sighed, slumping on the seat, "I apologized like a million times and she still refuses to talk to me..."

"Maybe don't ditch your girlfriend next time." His nephew chimed in from the backseat.

"Shut up..." Oikawa mumbled tiredly.

"What were you even doing?" His sister raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

Hanging out with a girl who wasn't his girlfriend.

"I was practicing for volleyball..." He lied as he stared out the window.

"Be a better boyfriend, okay Tooru?" His sister smacked his arm lightly, causing him to yelp.

"Ow..."

"That was barely a tap..." His nephew said flatly.

Oikawa rolled his eyes and stared at the road ahead of them.

Miyazaki Kaiya being friends (or possibly more) with Ushijima Wakatoshi, the guy who he despised with every fiber of his being...

Wait... Why does he even care?

Despite that question floating around in his head, Oikawa couldn't hide the fact that he was so agitated at the sight of Kaiya and Ushijima interacting with one another.

He wondered why.