Chapter 29: Not a Date

Chapter 29:

The first week of October signaled the beginning of autumn - the leaves on the trees shifted from green to reddish-brown while the weather became chillier with more rain. Ever since Kaiya and Oikawa's reunion, they slowly began rebuilding their friendship. He took the time to learn about her likes and dislikes, her pet peeves, and which artists she admired. He mentally took notes about her in his head, jotting down every detail so that he could impress her when the time came. Kaiya, on the other hand, appreciated that he was trying really hard to show that he had changed. It made her feel... nice.

Like she was wanted.

"What time does the festival start?" Kaiya asked curiously.

Currently, she, Oikawa, and Iwaizumi were eating lunch together, making plans to hang out after school. Ever since Iwaizumi found out that his best friend liked Kaiya, he decided that he would help him confess to her, even if Oikawa didn't know about his elaborate plans.

"I think it starts at 6?" Iwaizumi pursed his lips together in deep thought, "How about we meet after volleyball practice?"

"I need at least an hour after practice to get ready..." Oikawa whined, "How about we all meet at 7?"

"It's not a date, Oikawa." Kaiya rolled her eyes.

He cringed at her sudden statement, hastily looking away as his face flushed with heat. Iwaizumi snickered, nearly choking on his lunch, causing her to raise an eyebrow suspiciously.

"What? Did I say something?" She frowned.

"No, nothing." Oikawa cleared his throat nervously.

"Fine, let's meet in front of Miyazaki's house at 7 tonight." Iwaizumi smiled widely, which aroused suspicion in his best friend.

"Alright..."

After a tiring day of classes, studying, and volleyball practice, Kaiya trudged back home as she carried her school stuff and volleyball gear. Normally, she would take a nap after school but she was excited to spend some time with her friends. She opened the front door and lazily threw her bags on the floor.

"Dad? Are you home?" She called out.

As Kaiya sauntered into the kitchen, she found a note from her father.

Won't be back until later tonight.

Got called back to work.

Dinner's in the fridge!

She sighed and opened the fridge door - there were a variety of sushi rolls and a bottle of sparkling water inside. As much as she loved her dad, he wasn't the best cook in the world so she was a bit afraid to taste the dish he created. She thought about eating it but realized that she was probably going to get something to eat at the autumn festival later that night. Nevertheless, Kaiya's stomach grumbled loudly, signaling her hunger. She fought against her increasing appetite and jogged upstairs to take a quick shower.

Lately, there was something off in the way Oikawa behaved around her. He was still his usual, irritating self, but in a more... strange... way. She couldn't quite figure out what was so different about him now though. To add to that, she, herself, felt unusual around him. She wondered if it had something to do with what he had told her that day at the art museum.

"I missed you."

Kaiya blushed and shook her head at the peculiar thoughts that surfaced.

When did she start thinking about Oikawa like... that?

After her shower, she strolled into her room to find a presentable outfit to wear for the festival. Kaiya decided on a violet, long-sleeved sweater and black jeans, partnered with some blue socks and a small, black faux-leather backpack. She stood in front of the mirror and debated whether or not she should wear makeup.