Chapter Thirteen

Owens POV

We've been looking for her for weeks and people are starting to give up. I won't give up. I have to find her.

We pulled up to this little house in the middle of nowhere. That's where Mathews friend said he probably would be. There was a giant field in front of it and a forest in the back.

Jamie, one of the police officers, said we could look around this place but it will take a couple days to get a warrant to go in.

We didn't see anything suspicious and no one was home so we jumped back in the cars.

"Let's get you back home kid" Jamie said to me

We started driving through the field when I looked into the side mirror at the house. We stopped at the road waiting for a spot to pull out.

I look at the mirror again and see a girl running from the house. It was Quinn.

"Go back, Go back" I started screaming at Jamie

Mathew was chasing her through the field. I jumped out of the car. There was no time to turn around. I ran to her but I could tell Mathew was getting close to her.

"QUINN. QUINN" I screamed.

I sprinted towards her but Mathew tackled her.

"GET OFF OF HER"

The shots rang through my ears. Jamie ran and quickly handcuffed Mathew. The other police officer had shot him in the arm.

I ran up to Quinn, laying lifeless on the ground.

"No no no no no" I said tears streaking down my face.

Her stomach was bleeding from where Mathew shot her. I took my jacket off and put pressure on her stomach to try to stop the bleeding.

"Please Quinn. Please. I just got you back" I cried hoping in some way she could hear me

I tried to feel for a pulse but I didn't find one. I started performing CPR on her while Jamie shoved Mathew in the back of her car. The other officer was on the phone with 911.

Flashing lights shone across the field and people quickly hopped out of the back.

"Please help her" I cried

One of them took over CPR while another one was putting a mask on her.

She can't die. Not like this. Not at the hands of Mathew

I hopped in the back of the ambulance with her and sat holding her hand. They were working to finally get a pulse but they still couldn't find one.

Doctors greeted us at the hospital and took Quinn immediately. I sat outside of her room staring at the blood on my hands.

My mom walks over to me and hugs me but I don't hug her back. I just listen to all the noise in Quinn's room.

"CLEAR"

"Charge to 130"

"CLEAR"

"Damnit. Time of death 1:32pm"

One doctor walked out but I already knew what they were going to say.

"I'm sorry but we-"

I pushed passed them and into Quinn's room. She was laying there lifeless. Her clothes and the bedsheets were stained red with her blood. Her hair was in her face.

I went beside her and stroked her hair, moving it out of her face.

"No" I mumbled with tears soaking my face

I started doing CPR on her while the doctor came in to pull me off of her.

"I'm sorry but she gone" she said to me

"No"

She turned on the monitor and the long beat echoed through my ears

"See? She's gone. I'm so sorry but we did everything-"

Little beeps started up on the monitor. They were small but they were there.

"We need a team in here. Get an OR prepped" she said pulling me off of Quinn

I ran my fingers through my hair out of relief as Quinn was rolled out of the room. I walked to my mom and hugged her, crying into her shoulder.

Quinn was alive, but it didn't mean it would stay that way. She had to make it through surgery. She just needs to keep fighting a little bit longer.