Chapter One

You never know how fucked up this world is until you are living a nightmare. At least I didn't. Before, everything was calm. Everything was as calm as a dandelion in a field, dancing in the wind. Oh how oblivious I was. It's crazy how much I took for granted. I will never do that again.

"There are many places that are dangerous for pretty teen girls like yourself," my grandma used to tell me.
"The street, the park at night, even walking your dog alone can cause trouble for you"

I always thought she was paranoid. I thought wrong.
She was smart. I should've listen to her

—————

My curly brown hair was a pain to manage. It was all the way down to my lower back. I usually put it in Dutch braids because it was cute and out of my way. My mother told me I had bright blue eyes but now that I'm older, I think they have a greyish tint to them. I don't dress up to go out.

The only makeup I ever wear is a little bit of mascara but that's it. I don't have the time or patience to handle anything over-complicated. My main outfits consists of black leggings and a too big sweatshirt.

I'm not a straight A student but I'm also not the type that's fails classes. I don't pay attention in class and I ask my friends for answers on the homework. I'm an average high school student but still I have a target on my back. It's not because I'm rich, because I'm not, or that I have a lot of friends, because I don't. It's because I bounce from group home to group home.

My dad left when I was ten. My mother told me he cheated on her with some blonde skank he met at a bar. He took his Barbie bitch, a couple thousand dollars, and left me and my mom.
After that, she got into some pretty hardcore drugs like meth and heroin. Cps came and took my little brother and I away and we got split up. I haven't seen him since.

A foster family took me in and eventually adopted me. They moved me halfway across the country to Detroit, Michigan for Amber, my foster mom's work.

You would think it's a new town, new school, new me, right? Wrong. Many people found out that I was a foster kid and made fun of me for not having a real family and so on. I got pretty used to it.

My foster sister, Enid, was also a foster. She is 23 though, so we don't really hang out anymore.

She is the only person in this disfunctional family that I actually trust. She's the one that got me through a lot of tough times.
I took out my water jug full of money to add a hundred dollar bill I got from my minimum wage job at subway. I am saving up money to go and see my little brother, Jackson, who I recently found out is living with a family in Missouri.

So far, I have about 800 dollars saved up which I could use right now to go see him, but I'm also saving up so I can have him legally living with me once I turn 18.

" Can I borrow a twenty," Amber asks walking into my room, " I only have my card and the atm is down. I'll pay you back"
"Sure" I say while reaching into the jug for a twenty. I hand it to her and she heads downstairs.

I take a quick shower and do some homework before getting ready for bed. I dream about seeing Jackson again and all that does is make me miss him more. A tear trickles down my cheek as I start thinking about how it will probably never happen and I'm just optimistic. Maybe it won't happen. Maybe it can't.

—————
Nothing is more annoying than waking up to a loud buzzing in your ear. I quickly turn off my alarm clock and check my phone to see who texted me while I was asleep. Only stupid notifications from my friends. Nothing important.

I walk to the bathroom and brush my teeth and hair. Once I'm done, I head to my closet to pick out an outfit for today although I already had an idea of what I was going to wear. I grabbed some ripped jeans and a blue and white sweatshirt and walked downstairs to grab my backpack.