Chapter Five

My heart dropped when he brought in the next person. He had a gun to Jackson's head. He pushed him towards me and I took off the tape. I was sobbing because I knew what came next.

"PLEASE DONT" I sobbed

He pointed the gun at Jackson but I pushed his arm. A gunshot rang through the room but it didn't hit Jackson.

I jumped on Mathew trying to get the gun out of his hand and into mine. I did everything I could until he threw me to the ground and kicked me in the side.

Jackson ran out of the room and Mathew followed him but I couldn't move. My side hurt so bad. I tried to sit up until I heard another gunshot.

Mathew came back in and started screaming. "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT, YOU BITCH"

He started kicking me more, harder and harder each time. Pain spread up and down my body until I started coughing up blood.

"GET UP" he yelled

I couldn't move. Between him shooting Jackson and Enid and him kicking me, the pain was too much.

*beep* *beep* *beep* *beep*

He picked me up and carried me down the stairs and onto the couch. I was still coughing up blood. As soon as Mathew left, Morgan and Alana ran to me and tried to help me.

It hurt so bad to cry, but I couldn't stop. I wanted to go home. I wanted to see Amber. I missed her. I missed going to school and work. I miss everything.

"I think she has a few broken ribs" Alana informed Morgan.

After giving me some water, Morgan put a blanket over me and tried to get me to stop crying because I was only hurting myself more, but I didn't care. All I could think about was my plan with Jackson.

I was going to see him. He was going to move in with me. Now he's dead.

—————

A week or so went by and the only time Mathew came down was to give us food. I was still in excruciating pain, but there was nothing but Advil in the little first aid kit to help it.

Once I was able to walk, I would sit by Owens door and talk to him.

"My mom and dad really didn't care about me" he said. It turns out that he was a foster since he was three. He said how he would go a few days without food and whenever he complained, his father would beat him.

"They probably don't even know I'm missing"

I felt sorry for him. He was a nice kid. He was the only person I wanted to talk to.

I told him about Amber and Enid. I cried at the thought of Amber being all alone with both of her daughters missing. I also told Owen about Jackson and our family before Amber. I told him about my plan and he said it would've worked.

"It would've worked if he was alive" I said not even thinking about my words.

The weirdest thing happened. I started hysterically laughing.

"My brother and sister are both dead and I'm trapped in a bunker with three random people." I started laughing harder

Owen probably thought I was crazy or in shock, but at this point I was thinking both. The funny  thing is, that was the first time I have laughed since being here.

Once I stopped laughing, tears were trailing down my cheeks. The thought of Jackson dead was unbearable. He was only 10. He didn't even make it to middle school.

Jackson always talked about how in high school, he was going to play football. And when he's older, he wanted to be a surgeon. He was smart, too so he definitely could've done it. Now no one will know how smart he is. How smart he was.

And that hurt the most, knowing that he wouldn't grow up. He wouldn't get married or have kids. He wouldn't go to Prom or even graduate high school. Hell, he didn't even graduate elementary school.

I have to get out of here, I thought to myself

I found a paper clip from one of the books on the bookshelf. Mathew gave us some to use as bookmarks. I straightened it out and tried to pick Owens lock.

*beep* *beep* *beep* *beep*

"He's coming", I whispered to Owen while running into my room.

I hid the paper clip in my pillow case and sat on my bed pretending to read.

I heard Mathews footsteps approaching my door, but another door opened, it was Owens. I quietly tip-toed to my door and cracked it.

I looked at Owen. He had brown hair that kept falling in his face. I could see him freaking out as Mathew started to get near him.

I opened my door without thinking and stepped into the hallway. Alana and Morgan were also in the hallway. Alana ran up behind Mathew and stabbed him in the shoulder with something. Mathew turned around and started screaming at her.

He shoved her against the hallway wall while still screaming at her. Morgan pushed him off of her and he fell to the ground. He had a piece of glass sticking out of his shoulder. Where the hell did she get glass?

Owen, Morgan, and Alana tried to hold him down while I looked through his pockets. I grabbed the gun and aimed it at Mathew.

"Shoot him" Alana said

I stared at him and realized that wasn't an option.

"We don't know the code to the door" I said with my heart dropping. "We can't get out without him giving us the code."

Mathew started laughing at us, but we didn't know what to do.

"What is it" Morgan asked him

"You think I'm gonna give you that, huh. She can't shoot me or you all starve"Mathew laughed again

He stood up and started walking towards us. We backed away until we were in the living room.

What the hell do we do now?