14. hopeless

"He found Trumpet Creeper."

It was the last thing Lila wanted to hear after being summoned to school for an insignificant stage with Juda.

Lila's face blanks. "I thought I told you to burn it properly."

Jinmi gulps at her apathetic tone. "Whoops."

"Yeah, fucking whoops." Lila mocks him, grabbing a can of cola out of the fridge. "If this world goes to shit as well, it's your fault."

"Is that all you've got to say?" Jinmi huffs in disbelief as she exits the kitchen.

Lila rolls her eyes as she advances down the corridor. Weirdly enough, she didn't care anymore.

To her, this world wasn't worth saving. If the writer stopped reusing characters from other books then perhaps his stories would go more to plan.

"Min Lila!" Dohwa shouts down the corridor, bounding towards her like a golden retriever.

"Yes, Do?"

"Yes, Do?" He repeats with animated outrage. "I need to have a word with you miss, an intervention as they might say."

He crosses his arms sternly. Lila scratches her eyebrow half amused, half bewildered.

"About what?"

"About you skipping school and being down in the dumps and Kyung told me you had to go to the hospital a while back!" He lists with fervent concern, nostrils flaring.

Lila stifles a laugh. "Dear Dodo, I'm so glad to have you as a friend."

"Then come to school more." He pouts. "Dan Oh and Haru are always doing coupley things. I hate third wheeling, that's what my character was entirely created to do!"

"Okay, okay." Lila resigns with a grin. "I'll bother to attend school in the shadow."

"Yay!" He claps excitedly, grabbing her hands to join in. Then Dohwa pauses. "You sure you're okay?"

"Totally good." She lies.

"I'm gonna go see, hyung. Wanna come?" Dohwa points in the direction of the kitchen.

Lila hides her grimace. "I saw Jinmi today already."

"Okay." He shrugs. "Bye, princess."

Lila wanders to the entrance hall, noticing the clusters of extras and green tinge.

"Stop that!" Stage Baek Kyung snaps at Dan Oh. He scowls, chucking the gift-wrapped racquet to Haru. "You have it. Or throw it away. Whatever."

He stalks past the upset girl, headed in Lila's direction.

The ending sound chimes.

Lila blinks as Baek Kyung stares at her for a moment.

You disappoint me.

He sighs, swivelling around as her words echo in his head. "Dan Oh!"

The aforementioned girl glowers at him. "I know you didn't mean it, but it still hurts every time."

"Dan Oh listen..."

She storms away.

Lila can't help but feel annoyed on Baek Kyung's behalf. He obviously felt guilty and had no hand in saying it.

"Hey!" He bellows.

Oh for fuck's sake. He totally blew it.

Haru turns around. "Didn't I warn you," he lowly drawls, "not to give her a hard time?"