Chapter 24 - Homebound

-24-

-Homebound-

Akane sifted through the rubble, searching for any signs of Koyane's acolyte. The ground was slick with blood, but Jun was nowhere to be seen. All that Akane could find was the broken end of his sword, still embedded in the metal door, and a set of bloody footprints leading off into the snowstorm. Jun must have woken up and fled once he was sure his master was dead.

"-Yo Akane,-" Abigail's voice called from a horn-like device mounted on the wall in the hallway. "-I'm done here, you should get back.-"

He stared at the device suspiciously, walking off down the corridor back the way he had come. Sometimes it was hard to tell the difference between technology and magic in this strange world. As soon as he got home he wouldn't have to worry about any of this. It made him wonder, how far back could he go?

Would it be possible to go back to when he was a child, and stop Kento from ever finding his family? It would change everything. His mother and sister would still be alive, but his entire life would be different. He would cease to exist, allowing a different version of history to take place. Not that he wouldn't trade his experiences away in a heartbeat, but meddling with time was dangerous. It never ended well for amateurs, and he could even make things worse.

He would have to talk about this to Abigail when all this was over, and decide on the best course of action from there. He had plenty of time to think things over after Tiamat's soul was claimed as well. The soul of such a powerful being would undoubtedly give him enough power to open the portal, and then some. He could use it to slaughter the past version of Koyane, and save Hana. After he had lost so much, there might be a way to get it back. All of it.

The hallways passed by quickly as he walked, putting his full weight on the freshly repaired leg. It felt completely normal by now, as if he had never been hurt at all. He was thankful, and was already pushing its limits to make sure there would be no incidents in the future. If there was some damage Abigail had missed, it could cost him his life. No matter how hard he pressed on it and in whichever angle, the leg held strong. Abigail had done her work well, and he was satisfied.

The security door was locked tightly by the time he reached it, and he was half tempted to simply turn to smoke and pass through the small hole Sabbath had used. He decided against it, knocking on the thick metal door briefly. The familiar poked his head through the hole, yowling when he saw that it was Akane. The witch undid the heavy latch, pulling the door open to let him inside.

"How is she?" he asked quietly, looking at the girl passed out in the chair. She looked like she was sleeping.

"I'm not sure, I think it worked. Did you get Jun?"

"No, he was long gone by the time I got there. I found tracks leading outside, but I doubt we'll find him."

"Damn, I was looking forward to seeing that bastard die. It's a shame I didn't just off him there and then."

"We got Koyane, that's enough for one day."

Madeline stirred, and Abigail started to explain some things quickly.

"I found the memories, and sealed away everything into a deep corner of her mind. She won't be able to access it even if she really wanted to."

"And the damage?"

"Minimal, if there is any at all. Only time will tell. I had to put her under while I worked, and she's waking up now."

Akane stood by, watching as Madeline opened her eyes slowly.