Chapter 28 - The Mastermind

-28-

-The Mastermind-

The darkness consumed them once again, and Akane could feel the adrenaline starting to wear off. They didn't have much time to end this before both he and Abigail would be useless. The witch brought up the rear of their group, still carrying the stolen staff. Sabbath walked beside her at his normal size, still a bit too weak to take full form. Moriko and Jamie walked side by side, both weapons drawn as they scanned the darkness.

"Work together to bring her down," he whispered, "She'll tear us apart if we try to do it one at a time. I'll take her up close, all of you need to keep fire on her from a distance. Abigail, any healing you can muster would be appreciated when the time comes."

"Aye aye cap'n," Jamie muttered, cocking both pistols as they neared the central cavern.

"You got it boss," Abigail nodded, "Just say the word."

They fanned out through the mist as the tunnel widened, peering through the darkness and waiting for their eyes to adjust. The hollow was completely silent except for the steadily dripping water, and a rattling sound he couldn't quite decipher the direction of. It sounded so familiar, and definitely sinister.

Something moved under the fog to his left, and he pointed a single blade towards it. It was too small to be Tiamat. All of a sudden the goddess dove through the air towards them, wings stretched to either side and with her tail lashing behind her. Akane instantly reacted, holding out one blade that her momentum carried her to. The force of the impact was enough to send him staggering, and the hunters cried out in shock and turned their weapons towards their opponent.

Tiamat didn't move as blood dripped from her chest, she was completely limp. Akane pushed against the rough hide, feeling the oddly burnt surface as his eyes finally attuned to the dark. Tiamat was already dead, and judging from the scorch marks whatever had done it had also taken her soul.

"Something's wrong," he yelled out, kicking the corpse away and readying his weapons, "She's dead!"

"Dead?" Abigail repeated, "How?"

"I don't know, but it's not good. Be ready."

A soft laugh echoed through the cavern, and the rattling intensified. At last Akane recognised it; chains. He completely froze as the long chain dragged through the blanket of mist. He recognised the laugh as well, and his worst fears were realised.

"Hello Akane," a rich male voice said calmly, "I must say, it's a pleasure to see you again."

"Kento," he barely whispered, watching as the fog started to turn dark green. The Shinigami had returned for him.

"I prefer 'My lord'," the god's voice echoed conversationally. The fog started to gather slowly, forming a vaguely humanoid shape in the middle of the cavern. "Don't try running, you know you wouldn't get far."

Akane tried to keep his heartbeat under control, "How is this possible?"

"Oh, I'm very patient. You could never have escaped me, my student."

Everyone remained silent for a long moment, and the two bounty hunters levelled their weapons at the Shinigami's flickering form. Kento stepped out of the cloud of dark green fog, a dark steel chain wrapped around one hand as his facial features took shape. The god was tall, like all divines, with shoulder-length raven hair. His face was narrow, with high cheekbones and a brimming jaw filled with shark-like teeth. The most noticeable features from this distance were his eyes, amber and filled with supreme intelligence. If it wasn't for the monstrous jaws, he would be quite handsome. The compact armour he wore clung tightly to his form, underneath an ancient leather coat that appeared to be made from darkness itself.