Chapter 13 - The Twisted Tree

-13-

-The Twisted Tree-

Akane was the first back to the clearing, travelling much faster in smoke form than Abigail on Sabbath. Dead branches splintered as he reformed, spraying fragments of wood and black ichor over the clearing as he burst from the treeline.

"Sprite!" he roared, heartbeat already rising steadily.

All was silent and still in the clearing, though the earth at the base of the Dryad's tree was very noticeably disturbed.

"Oh, thank the gods," he heard a shaky voice from the side of the clearing, turning to watch Aloysius emerging from the surrounding forest. "It... it came through here and took her..."

Akane gripped both swords tightly in his hands, knuckles white as he quickly vaporised, closing the distance in a rush of black smoke before reforming feet from the Dryad.

"Where is she?" One sword was raised to the Dryad's chest, the other kept in a defensive position by his side, "What have you done?"

In the space of a few seconds, Aloysius's entire disposition changed. He straightened his posture, his eyes dropping the panicked look and narrowing slightly.

"Well now that just takes the fun out of things," he replied, voice calm, almost bored.

"Where is the girl?" Akane demanded again, taking a step forward and letting wisps of shadow coalesce around him, "Tell me now, and I'll let you run."

"It's too late for that," Aloysius shot back, taking a half-step away as Akane advanced, "You can't stop us now. Tiamat is coming, little killer. You can't hope to challenge her."

"I don't care about your goddess," he replied, "I just want Madeline. Final warning, Sprite."

"Your kind all return to the dirt eventually," he spat, the surrounding wood creaking as his hands clenched, "I just gave her a little help."

Akane's eyes widened as he snapped around, looking back to the base of the large tree in the middle of the Dryad's clearing. As if on a reflex, the tangle of half-sunken roots tightened. Bones lay scattered around it, and there was just the slightest mess of black hair visible from between the twisted masses of wood and dirt, which was now mostly sunken back into the earth.

Akane kicked off the ground, sailing high over the stream and making a beeline towards the Maple and focusing solely on Madeline. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a flicker of rapid movement from the forest floor, but it was too late. A thick root shot through the air to intercept him, wrapping tightly around his leg and dragging him back through the air. He barely managed to keep hold of his swords as he was thrown to the side, slamming into the dead trunks at the edge of the clearing with a heavy crack. Whether it was a rib or part of the trunk, Akane couldn't tell.

He ignored the shooting pain down his side, pushing himself to his feet and shaking off a bit of the ichor that now splattered his side. It was at this moment that Sabbath and Abigail burst out of the treeline, skidding to a stop and assessing the situation.

"The Maple!" Akane called, diving to the side as another root lashed out, splintering the dead tree behind him, "She's in the roots!"

As the ground around him came alive with various roots and plant life, he had to dive up into the blackened branches of the dead forest to get steady footing. Abigail was already moving too, dismounting Sabbath in one smooth motion and advancing across the clearing with both hands held out in front of her. Without a word the Familiar tore through the clearing towards Madeline, tearing at the roots that were now almost fully sunken with teeth and razor-sharp claws.