Chapter 2 - Keys And Magic

-2-

-Keys And Magic-

Night had long since fallen over Tokyo, and while Madeline's parents were preparing for their trip she was frantically trying to think of an excuse not to go. She had to return the key tonight; the chances of someone noticing that it was missing were too high to wait. The bathroom's entire stock of toiletry supplies was spread out in front of her, just waiting to be used to her full advantage.

She grabbed the toothpaste, carefully applying a small dab under each of her eyes. Her friend Becky had taught her the trick many years ago; the toothpaste made her eyes start watering uncontrollably, with very realistic results. She looked around, grabbing a large feather duster from under the counter. This was the bit she was least looking forward to. She waved the duster in the air, releasing a shower of dust from the puffy head.

With a hesitant breath she inhaled, taking a little too much of the dust into her lungs. It was horrible and disgusting, but it was all she could think of. Almost immediately her hay fever reacted violently, making her nose run and sending her into a sneezing fit. The allergy was annoying as hell, but right now it was her saving grace.

Watering eyes, check. Runny nose, check. Convincing fake sickness, double check. She rubbed the toothpaste off from under her eyes, grabbing a blanket to use for effect before shambling out of the room.

"Mom, Dad," she called as her nose started to clog, "I'm sick."

Her mother walked out of the en-suite, halfway through clipping an earring on, "Oh you poor thing," she frowned, looking at her daughters bright red nose and bleary eyes, "Don't worry, we'll stay here and look after you."

"No!" Madeline replied a little too fast, "I mean, this is Tokyo! Who knows when we'll be able to come back, right? Go out and enjoy the Palace, I'll be fine here. I'll just watch T.V and order room service or something."

"Are you sure honey?" her father asked, walking out after his wife, "We don't want to leave you out of everything."

"I'm sure," Madeline gave her best attempt at a smile, "You can make it up to me by going to the Cherry Blossoms tomorrow."

"This sickness sure came on fast, are you sure you'll be alright?"

"Of course I will dad, it must be something in the Tokyo air I'm not used to. We learned about things like this in biology."

The last sentence was a complete lie, but they didn't need to know that.

"Okay sweetie," her mother smiled a little sadly, "But we won't be long, I promise."

"Take as long as you want, have a romantic evening for once," Madeline encouraged them, "Think about it, how long has it been since the two of you had some alone time?"

Her mother nodded, "She's right Richard; it has been a long time."

"I'm always right," Madeline nodded, "Now you two kids have fun, go get Gelato or something. Go on, shoo!" She raised both arms, making a display of shepherding them to the door.

Her parents smiled, surrendering and walking over to the door. "Are you sure you'll be okay?"

"I'll be fine," Madeline nodded, sniffling for effect and gesturing to stack of DVDs she had brought with them, "I'll have my own date with Ian Somerhalder."

Her mother smiled, "We'll see you soon Maddy, take care of the place."

"Cya kiddo," her dad nodded before following his wife.