Chapter 11 - The Man From The Wood

-11-

-The Man From The Wood-

Akane sat across from Maddy on the train, an overcoat borrowed from Abigail's closet concealed his compact armour and weaponry. With the hood pulled back to show his face, he looked fairly normal. Just another face in the crowd. With Abigail's car so distinctly damaged, Japan's famous Bullet Train was by far the fastest way to get to the forest. They had chosen to take the risk, but not without first doing everything they could to ensure they wouldn't be recognised.

Abigail had dyed her hair to a bright shade of green, hiding her face underneath a pair of cheap sunglasses. Sabbath had been stowed away in a small carry-bag, much to his disgust. Maddy's disguise consisted of a loose bandana covering the lower half of her face, as well as a leather jacket borrowed from Abigail.

Her leg was still a little tender, but the witch's magic had healed almost all the damage. The same could be said for Akane's bullet wound, which was now nothing more than just another pink scar. The sheer number of scars that had collected on the killer's body was impressive to say the least. Some were obvious acts of torture, while others had a distinct roughness that suggested they had been received in combat.

"Do you mind if I sit this one out guys?" Madeline asked quietly, "I'd just get in the way again, and I'm not sure I could do much against this thing anyway."

Akane nodded. "Of course. With those hunters after us it's too dangerous to leave you by yourself, but you won't have to fight. Between Abigail and me, this should be over quickly. Just hang back and don't worry."

She gave a dim smile. "Thanks. Any idea what this thing might be?"

He shook his head. "No. Abigail?"

The witch shrugged. "Hiding in forests and preying on the unwary; it fits the profile of too many monsters to count. Honestly it could be anything from a common Vampire to an Enenra. At this stage there's not enough information to go on."

"Well what about the contact? He must be able to tell us something."

Akane nodded, giving a short gesture out of the train's window. "We'll find out soon enough."

The snow-capped peaks of the nearby mountain range rose in the north, a sea of greenery stretching out at its base, covering the land. The next station was close. The trio got to their feet as the intercom announced the train's upcoming stop, making their way to the nearest set of sliding doors. The train slowed rapidly as it approached, pulling into a crowded station a few kilometres away from their destination. An odd look crossed Akane's face as he stepped onto the platform, staring out at the mountains as he pushed through the people rushing to get on the train. Abigail grabbed hold of his arm and led their way through to where the mob was thinner. In turn Akane's hand reached out and took hold of Madeline's, pulling her along so that they wouldn't get separated.

"Is something wrong?" she asked Akane, studying his face as he scanned terrain.

"Hmm?"

"Is something wrong? You look like something's bothering you."

"Oh," he frowned, "No. I just have a lot of memories of this place. I grew up a few miles to the East of here. It is... different now."

"Fond memories?"

"Not many."

"I'm sorry."

He said nothing in return.

>---<

The sun was low in the horizon by the time they reached the forest's edge. When they were far enough from civilisation Akane hastily removed the overcoat, relishing the freedom of the uninhabited countryside. Both Abigail and Madeline couldn't help but smile as he moved through the trees above, his limbs moving so fluidly that it all seemed like a well-rehearsed dance.