Chapter 18 - Assassins And Mercenaries

-18-

-Assassins And Mercenaries-

The trading grounds had resumed normally activity after Akane's brawl with Jun. While it had been a heated moment, there were at least a dozen like it each week and it had quickly been forgotten. The trading continued as per usual. He watched as Abigail talked to some passing Enenra, asking questions as she went. The creatures were made of pure smoke, much like Akane's own spectral form. He passed them by on his own search.

So far he had made stops at over a dozen stalls, asking for any information that might be useful in tracking down Maddy. Nobody knew anything important, save for the fact that Koyane's known associates had all disappeared. Akane stopped in front of a pale man leaning against the wall, a massive broadsword that seemed too big for him to wield strapped to his back.

"Anything I can help with?" the man asked with a smile, flashing a row of razor teeth.

"I'm looking for information," he replied. "Anything that can lead me to Koyane Fujiwara. What do you know, vampire?"

The vampire smiled smugly. "You're hunting a dangerous man."

"You didn't answer my question."

"You didn't pay me."

Akane handed over a vial that the vampire held up to inspect. "What am I looking at?"

"Mermaid tears."

"It'll do," he shrugged, pocketing the item. "I don't know about Koyane personally, but a bunch of mercenaries went out on an assignment not two days ago. Find them, and you'll find your man."

"What makes you so sure Koyane hired them?"

"One of the mercenaries was Hiro Ito. I believe Koyane already has his sister on the payroll, so finding him should lead you to his sister."

"Where did he go?"

The vampire shrugged. "Don't know, don't care. I've told you what I was paid for, and I haven't got anything else for you."

"Thank you," Akane nodded, turning away to find Abigail.

He walked through the crowds, passing all manner of monsters and men as he scanned for the witch. He kept one hand on the satchel of trading goods that Abigail had given him, watching for pickpockets as he went. It must have taken the witch years to stockpile this many valuables. She had managed to salvage a few things from the apartment before it had to be abandoned; now that it had been discovered staying there would have been too big a risk. Now all they had was a bullet-ridden car, and a trunk full of apothecary supplies. Certainly not ideal, but he had made do with less in the past. Abigail walked across the warehouse floor, rubbing her eyes as she made her way towards the assassin.

"I've got nothing," she groaned, "Koyane runs a tight ship; nobody's seen him or his butt buddies since they disappeared."

"We may not be able to find them specifically, but we can get to the people his people know."

"What do you mean?" she asked, "Did you find something?"

"Maybe. The monster hunter Koyane hired has a mercenary for a brother, and he was just sent on assignment with his team. If we can find him, we can find the sister. If we find her, we get Koyane and all of his people."

"This is good," she smiled, thinking over the possibilities. "What's his name?"

"Hiro Ito."

"I've heard of him; he's supposed to be pretty damn good."