Chapter 22 - Dragonfire

-22-

-Dragonfire-

Akane walked silently through the hallways, eyeing every corridor as he went. Koyane was close, he could feel it. A series of explosions had shaken the complex a few minutes ago, mere moments after his battle with Hiro. Abigail was the most likely source, but he was confident she could handle herself. As odd as she could be, the witch was a very capable warrior. Out of everyone that could be by his side to finally confront Koyane, he was glad that it was her.

The countless cells lined the hallways branching off from the main passage, making Akane's mind wander. How many people had died in these walls? How many thousands suffered as Koyane dissected their bodies to try to remove their souls? Too many. Koyane had gone even darker since the days of ancient Japan; back then at least his slaughter was on a smaller scale. He had evolved into a more deranged killer, and only a firsthand experience would reveal if this made him even more dangerous.

Still, Akane knew not to underestimate Koyane. He had done it once before, and it had cost him eight-hundred years. Eight-hundred years and his sister. He would not make the same mistake twice. The fury built in him as he thought of the countless days he had spent as Koyane's prisoner, both in and out of the statue. He had slaughtered in that bastard's name, killing god knows how many innocent people to protect Hana. He had done terrible things, things he wasn't proud of and that he wished he could forget. He was going to tear Koyane apart for everything he made him do.

"Hey," a familiar voice said softly from an adjoining hallway.

A soft green glow filtered in from some distant part of the facility, illuminating three figures as they moved slowly towards him. Akane smiled, lowering the weapons slightly as his friends approached.

"It's good to see you all again," he nodded sombrely, "Madeline, how are you?"

He frowned when the girl didn't reply. Abigail was supporting her under one arm, her other hand on Sabbath to steady herself. The witch's jacket was torn in several places, and her jeans were covered in dust.

"She's gone," Abigail said sadly, "Whatever Koyane did to her, it's completely shattered her mind. I don't know if she'll ever be the same again."

Akane's pace faltered as his heard caught in his throat. He had failed again.

"Is there nothing we can do?

"I don't know, I've never seen damage this extensive before. She's in there somewhere, but there's too much. As long as the memories of whatever Koyane did are in there, she'll be practically brain-dead."

"So we get rid of the memories. That should fix her, yes?"

"I don't know," she ran her hands through her hair, "Maybe. I've never done anything like this before, mind games aren't my speciality."

"We'll deal with it after Koyane is dead," Akane muttered, looking at Maddy's vacant face as it stared aimlessly forward. There was nothing there; no signs of the life he was so used to when he looked at her.

"Agreed, it's not safe yet. Jun's down for the count back in the wreckage, we can take care of him as soon as we're done and then work on getting home. Sound like a plan?"

"Aye. Then all we'll need to do is take care of Tiamat. It should be easier without Koyane hovering over our heads."

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves," the witch gave a small smile, "Come on; let's find the fucker. Sabbath can get Maddy out of the way and then circle back to help us out. She won't be going anywhere at least."