Chapter 10 - History Lesson

-10-

-History Lesson-

Abigail looked physically hurt as she ran her hand over the roof of her car, feeling the dozens of dents and bulled holes. She pulled an arrow from the back window, being gentle as if to not hurt the green car.

"Oh baby, what have they done to you?' she muttered as Sabbath rolled his eyes.

Akane was leaning against the garage wall, studying the wounds he had sustained during the chase. Madeline noticed that he was avoiding putting weight on one leg and that a steady flow of blood was running from his shoulder and dripping onto the ground. As bad as it looked, he showed no outward signs of pain. He didn't even look like it bothered him at all, as if such injuries were nothing but a mild inconvenience. After what he had experienced, they probably were just that.

"You are fond of that cart," Akane smirked wryly, "Theirs are in much worse condition, that I can promise."

"It's called a car," Maddy corrected him.

"Whatever."

Abigail looked enraged. "I don't give rat's arse about how badly damaged theirs are, this baby is my pride and joy! You have no idea how hard it is to afford one of these without a stable job! Out of all the things in the world, I love this the most."

Sabbath hissed at the comment, offended.

"Oh bite me," the witch snapped, "You shit on the rug."

"He's not housetrained?" Madeline frowned. She'd assumed that an intelligent magical Familiar like Sabbath would at least be housebroken.

"Oh, he's housetrained," Abigail death-glared the cat, "but he's a spiteful little bastard. I knew I should have gone for a raven, or even a bloody toad!"

Sabbath's face froze for a moment, and Madeline feared he was about to go ballistic. Instead he stopped baring his teeth and walked out of the room.

"He's going to break something isn't he?" Madeline asked, trying to hide her smile.

"Yep."

A vase smashed somewhere in the house, drawing a small smile even out of Akane. Abigail muttered something about a new rug before storming out of the garage after Sabbath. Akane's attention turned back to his shoulder, which he prodded gently with a single finger. Judging from his wince, it was bad.

He didn't say a word, but simply formed a small cloud of smoke swirling around his wrists into a pair of needle-like rods. He gripped the shadow constructs in one hand, pushing the ends into the wound to retrieve the bullet. Maddy had to avert her eyes as the rods disappeared into his shoulder, digging around for the bullet as the flow of blood quickened.

After a few more moments and a satisfied groan, Akane pulled the bullet free. Bloody runes were engraved onto its surface, and only now could Madeline see the steam coming from the hole it had left.

"What is that," she asked, "Some kind of cursed bullet?"

He tossed it aside. "Cursed, or blessed. It hardly matters."

Unsure of how to reply, Madeline threw him a bandage from the first aid kit. He nodded in thanks, pressing it to his wound to slow the blood flow.

"You seem content to stand in the corner and watch," Akane said loudly, not looking up from his wound.

A thin man stepped from the shadows. To be honest, Maddy was unsure of how she didn't even notice him.

"An old habit," Crowley smiled thinly.