Chapter 21 - Reunited

-21-

-Reunited-

Hiro advanced with broad sweeping strokes, guarding his body with the hardened shaft of the spear while attacking with the blade. It was an effective tactic against Akane's dual swords, forcing him to use both weapons to block the blade. This left the assassin open to a follow-up attack from the blunt but formidable opposite end.

Evasion seemed to be the best tactic, so Akane resorted to phasing through the strikes. His body left a train of smoke as he moved, flying so quickly that Hiro had trouble keeping up. Sparks flew through the smoke as the blades connected, keeping Akane on his toes. The assassin barely touched the ground each time, attacking from as many angles as possible to keep Hiro on the back foot.

The mercenary's thick body armour protected him from the worst of the blows, and it wouldn't be long before he worked out how to counter the offensive. Akane's attack had one major weakness; he could only land blows when he was in solid form. Hiro caught onto this quickly, watching the killer's shifting form. He withstood a handful more of Akane's attacks, blocking the bladed strikes with his armoured forearm guards before putting his own plan into action.

The Quandao swiped in a wide arc, cracking across the small of Akane's back just as he reformed. A small distance lower and the blade would have sunk into Akane's spine, but he was lucky enough to only get caught by the shaft. It still hurt like hell, and broke him out of the flow he had worked himself into. Akane fell to the floor, rolling to the side as Hiro stabbed the Quandao straight down. He was kicked aside for his trouble, but it was certainly preferable to impalement.

Akane rolled backwards, shrugging off the blow and rethinking his strategy. He would be brutalised if he tried to weather Hiro's blows, and he couldn't trade enough damage like this for it to be an effective strategy. He got to his feet, readying himself for more as Hiro pulled the Quandao free. The mercenary advanced quickly, trying to keep Akane distracted as he rushed forward with a powerful thrust. Akane controlled his breathing, rushing forward towards the spear.

It was enough to throw Hiro off, and he hesitated momentarily before finishing the attack. The break was all Akane needed, and he threw himself forward into the air. Just before he would have been impaled on the spear he phased out, letting Hiro pass through the cloud before reforming. The moment he was solid again he span around, catching the rear end of the spear under his arm and kicking with both legs at the small of Hiro's back.

The mercenary turned as Akane sailed back into the air, leaping after him. The Quandao swung down, but Akane was ready. He parried with both blades, sending the curved spearhead into the brick floor. The mercenary naturally tried to recover by smashing the shaft into Akane's face, but this was a move he had expected. He had been watching Hiro the whole time, and had learned a few things. The mercenary was disciplined, effective without question. Akane could tell he had been formally trained, in a very militaristic style. It made him formidable, but also predictable.

Akane easily sidestepped the strike, keeping the weapon pinned down and countering a sweeping kick to Hiro's face. The mercenary's left hand momentarily lost grip on the weapon as he staggered back, giving Akane the opportunity he needed. A rough shoulder bash pushed Hiro back, and Akane's quickly brought his elbow down on the one arm still holding onto the Quandao. Something in Hiro's arm crunched when the elbow connected, and the spear clattered to the ground.

"Where is he?" Akane said evenly, advancing with one sword pointed forward. "Tell me, and you live."

"Piss off," he snarled in response, picking up the Quandao. He faced forward with his stronger arm out front, ready to continue the fight.