Warning: Incorrect Sign

I went out for a pint with a friend of mine the other day (this will come of no surprise to most of you who know me), but whilst walking back up to the bus stop along Exeter High Street a wee sign caught my attention "Parliament Street, narrowest street in the World" (or something similar, Brian's attention span is about as wide as the aforementioned street). 

While I've seen the sign before, I thought it perhaps time to check out the veractity of this claim.

Details: Parliament Street is a 50-metre long street in the city of Exeter, Devon, England. It links the High Street to Waterbeer Street and dates from the 14th century. It's about 0.64 metres at its narrowest and 1.22 metres at its widest.

Ah, the wonders of the interweb. It would appear we can't even claim narrowest street in Europe, merely Great Britain. Apparently our German cousins have beaten us on this one with the wonderfully named Spreuerhofstraße. 

Details: Spreuerhofstraße is located in the city of Reutlingen, Germany. At its narrowest, it's 0.31 metres and 0.5 metres. The lane was built in 1727 during reconstruction after the area was completely destroyed in a massive city-wide fire of 1726. 

So there we go, narrower and newer. But ours leads to Beer =]